Landing fish from the rocks

Ali2196

Hey guys, I’ve been fishing off the rocks lately and there’s been times where I would hook onto a fish that’s 4kg+ But can’t lift him out for the water and land him. I’ve seen people land a fish up on the rocks with a wave but as much as I’ve tried, I just couldn’t land it. I would really appreciate it if I could get some tips or a demonstration clip. 

thanks, Ali

As the wave comes in, use your rod to bring the fish up onto the platform with the momentum of the moving water. Be ready to give line quickly if you aren't able to strand the fish on the platform. The power of the receding wave plus a solid kick from the fish can easily see it escape.

If you need to lift the fish, not just wash it ashore, you again use the approaching wave to give the fish some upward momentum which you capitalise on to help lift the fish clear and swing it ashore. Try to do this in one smooth motion.

KB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just use the waves as they wash up, don't rush it, or, buy a long handled net or gaff.

As Noelm said if you're having difficulty a net or gaff- otherwise make sure the fish is played out and under control on the surface, then you can steer it towards a spot where the swell is 'lifting' over the rocks- there is usually somewhere along the rocks that the water is rising up and washing over in a more 'gentle' manner, not somewhere it is just splashing up but flowing over. Then try to minimize the distance between the rod tip and fish, keeping your rod reasonably low, say below horizontal if you can at the time you attempt, that way when an appropriate sized swell arrives, you have both the rise of the water in conjunction with the rising of your rod to an almost upright position to 'float'/drag the fish up and onto the rocks. Don't rush it- if there isn't a decent enough swell for a few minutes just wait, as even on flat sea days the natural inwards water-to-land movement will provide an opportunity.

Some locations require you to do 2 stages ie first stage onto or over a lower ledge, then same again to the actual safe-landing point. BE AWARE OF THE SWELL when washing larger fish up as it's easy to get distracted once your fish is along the edge or on lower level rocks.

Best practice is to have a good look around you before you start fishing and identify a spot you'll be confident with to work your fish towards should you get a big one- just look for either a gentle slope or a spot closer to water level that the water 'lifts' over. Often, when close to the edge, the fish get another "energy spurt" but if played out until on the surface the first time, it usually only takes a minute or so to regain control.

When you're attempting to wash in, only do it when the swell is starting to flow over- if the fish falls away or moves out a little, just wait again and don't attempt when the water is either flowing back or is about to drop, again, just wait, as when fish are genuinely "played-out" you'll have plenty of time to wait for a wave/swell for the final bit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just before the wave approaches you need to get the fish as high up to the surface, at the same time have less line as (as in having tension with your rod facing almost full down ways). As the wave starts to head closer towards the rocks being to start to lift the fish up to the surface and then as the wave moves into the rocks, push the rod side ways to move the fish over, as the fish is already on the surface, the wave will help you push the fish up higher to go over the rocks. If you are a few meters up, you might need to do it in stages if it is too dangerous to go down to get the fish. 

This is if you must use the wave to bring the fish up. Else as above use some form of gaff/net. Higher cliffs you have cliff gaffs as well.

Us oldies used to use gaffs made from 16ft sticks of Rangoon cane but dont know where you can get them these days.  Landed countless kings to 16lb and a few northern bluefin to 32lb.  Other alternatives I have used are rope gaffs or net made on telescopic paint roller poles.  Ron