Scratchie

Port Stephens- incoming snapper

Recommended Posts

G’day raiders, 

Just a quick report from up here! 
Thought we saw a window of opportunity to head out and chase a few reds. My mate never really cares about conditions and this trip was no exception! 
He put us on the spot and first cast I was on to an unstoppable. Good signs ahead. Next was his turn and he couldn’t stop his either! 
Managed a few different drifts and somehow dodged the impending storm! 
At least we can say that we landed a few and made it home safely! 
 

cheers scratchie!!! AD64AD90-7662-4ADA-8519-684D18A49E26.thumb.jpeg.3af605a3c1b1b5eb2b9c9323d10a1711.jpegF7FF9010-83DF-409A-8754-47BE0C4ABAC4.thumb.png.20a9a35bbc963c35c7cd155622f22c01.png

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Jeff.

The weather looks ominous but the swell & sea doesn't looks to bad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful Reds mate, yet again you always come back with great results! 

Well done 

Adem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report as usual. Super photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff, Jeff! 😎 Up Broughton way again? With school hols finishing, I’m hoping to get out soon but my windows of opportunity are limited. Might be able to manage a quick session on Monday morning just out the front before work, weather (and wife😂 permitting!). Gotta break the drought! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pannie there Scratchie.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Jeff.

The weather looks ominous but the swell & sea doesn't looks to bad 

Thanks Adrian. The swell was certainly up there early morning. Just lucky it was 10 secs apart. When your in the trough and can’t see the island it’s a worry! 

3 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Beautiful Reds mate, yet again you always come back with great results! 

Well done 

Adem 

Thanks Adem. Many years of practice and a lot of luck! 

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report as usual. Super photos.

Cheers rebel. 

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! 😎 Up Broughton way again? With school hols finishing, I’m hoping to get out soon but my windows of opportunity are limited. Might be able to manage a quick session on Monday morning just out the front before work, weather (and wife😂 permitting!). Gotta break the drought! 😂

Thanks baz! Yep a long drought for you. Actually can’t remember the last Port Stephens red you got! There out there mate! Go get em! 

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

Nice pannie there Scratchie.  :lol:

Sorry yowie but that’s all I could manage! Just couldn’t stop the other two! Nor could my mate on his Stella. Brutal in shallow water! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scratchie said:

 

Sorry yowie but that’s all I could manage! Just couldn’t stop the other two! Nor could my mate on his Stella. Brutal in shallow water! 

Over the years fishing inside Port Hacking, I have hooked a few fish that felt like bigger than average reddies for up river. Maybe in their 60's on 10 or 12 pound mono, but I could not stop them before they swam around some rocks, then frayed the line and gone. Not kingies, definitely felt like bigger reds, so I know what you mean. That big tail just keeps them moving along.:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yowie always a hard decision between 20lb leader to entice the bite or 30lb leader to stop em! 
I may trial the 30lb on my next trip! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one mate, hope you left a few for me ha ha.

Might see you up there soon now the holidays are over

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trailer’s hooked up. Gonna try out the front islands in the morning, rather than Broughton due to time restraints. Want to get a few flathead drifts in, too, and get a few bonnies and a salmon for my club length only comp. Hope it all comes together!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Trailer’s hooked up. Gonna try out the front islands in the morning, rather than Broughton due to time restraints. Want to get a few flathead drifts in, too, and get a few bonnies and a salmon for my club length only comp. Hope it all comes together!

Apparently a few kings  down around fingal if you head that way

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Apparently a few kings  down around fingal if you head that way

Thanks Peter! I’ll keep that in mind. Planning on focussing around Little Island and Boondelbah but I must explore Fingal more!I’m just glad to be getting out! I haven’t fished for months! I think the last time was in June when I was net boy for Scratchie 😂 and when I did get out a few weeks back, I had motor trouble before I got to the bait grounds and was back at the ramp by 8am, grateful for the tow by the water police!

My club has a length only comp where the longest combined length of snapper, flathead and salmon wins. I don’t think anyone entered all 3 species last year. There’s usually some big flathead entered (e.g. 900-1000mm plus) but I think only pan sized snapper. My target is to get one of each species as a start.

Edited by Berleyguts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great fishing, Gotta watch those storm's with an extra eye!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Scratchie, heading up to Anna bay hoping to chase the reds for a few days, mainly fish south of Sydney so not much experience up there

looking for a post you shared about port Stephens gps marks

got a 6.4 glass so should be able to access most places, 

cheers bailey

Edited by Bdes
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bdes said:

Hey Scratchie, heading up to Anna bay hoping to chase the reds for a few days, mainly fish south of Sydney so not much experience up there

looking for a post you shared about port Stephens gps marks

got a 6.4 glass so should be able to access most places, 

cheers bailey

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Reds Jeff I will get up there one day soon this summer.

Cheers

Paul.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Love Port Stephens snapper 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 noice reddie , yummm 😋

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,217
    • Total Posts
      523,492