Re-registering boat

eastwood1980

Hi guys,

Both my trailer and boat isn't registered and i wanted to re-register again. what do i need to do? Also i need a new axel as well its all rusted.

with out a number plate am i able to drive it to a trailer repairer? to get it fixed and to get blue slip? won't i get caught my the police?

I live in Eastwood NSW does anyone know any good Trailer repairer close by? 

For the tinny do i just go to the RTA to re-register?

Sorry about the million questions i'm just totally lost and don't have a clue where to start or what to do.

Thank you for your help guys

1. There is a trailer place at Rydalmere who will sell you the axle and plates required to change the axel, They May also do the work I’m not sure as the do new trailers. It’s in the side street opposite Bunnings, you will need to measure the axel. (Edit: Trailer City Clyde St Rydalmere)

2. I take my trailer to Telopea Auto Mech under the service station, great guys, they could fit the parts if you supply and they will do the blue slip as well.

Edited by jeffb5.8

For the OP.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/unregistered.html

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/registration/boatcode/index.html

Have a look for the HIN plate, mine is on the back of the transom on the starboard side, if you don't have one at all you will have to go to someone who is on the boat code list-

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/registration/boatcode/boatcode-agents.html#Sydney

Even though the tinny I have now was registered when I got it it didn't have a plate as the original owner was  not required to have one as he had had it so long, it was only on the transfer of the rego that the HIN plate was required.

Good luck 👍

On 10/12/2019 at 6:45 PM, motiondave said:

With the trailer, if its been out of rego more than 3 months, its blue slip, and you will need to get weigh bridge ticket, and find a local blue slip station. They will take photos of the trailer as part of the rego details and may put a new chassis number on it.

speak to blue slip place as they may be able to help and advise on taking it to repairs, usually need a light bar, from RTM at least so it has lights on it.

look on RMS website for blue slip stations, ring around, be polite, most will be helpful.

With the hull, as far as I know, and Ive been through this twice, the HIN number , if its still active, and if the boat has not had rego paid for under two years, you should be able to just go to RMS and pay the rego. If its over 2 years, you may need to get a boat coder , again, list on RMS website, to inspect the boat, double check the existing HIN number and you pay for inspection and a certificate, then go to RMS and pay more money to register the boat.

im about to start a project boat, that , I found out the HIN number is registered still on RMS system, but its been well over 2 years , however, obviously I need to do work on the hull before I take it to boat coder place, for them to inspect, and do a form saying its now mine, pay him a fee, then off to RMS to pay more rego money.

This place at Granville will supply all the parts you need to replace axle etc (it’s a job you can do yourself)

Also

When you can drive unregistered

You can drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW for the purpose of obtaining registration.

You must drive the most direct or convenient route:

• To the nearest convenient registry or service centre
  • To the nearest convenient Authorised Inspection Station to determine whether the vehicle complies with the applicable vehicle standards
  • In the course of inspecting or testing the vehicle to determine if it complies with the applicable vehicle standards
  • To the nearest practicable weighbridge to determine the weight of the vehicle
  • From a registry or service centre, or authorised inspection station, where registration of the vehicle has been refused, to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs can be made, or where the vehicle can be garaged, unless a direction has been issued that the vehicle must not be driven until repairs have been made
  • From an Authorised Inspection Station to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs or adjustments can be made, or where the vehicle can be garaged
  • To the nearest convenient office of a licensed insurer for the purpose of obtaining CTP insurance
  • To the nearest convenient location for any other purpose directly associated with the registration process.

If you’re pulled over by the police while driving an unregistered vehicle, you may be asked to provide evidence that the vehicle is being driven for the purpose of obtaining registration. For example, you may need to provide a copy of the safety check or CTP insurance certificate showing payment for that day.

Do you have the Mech ability to do the repair / replacement work yourself?

If you do

Drop the tinnie onto the grass and on the trailer undo the retaining bolts and remove the fish plates and wheel the axle out.

On the new axle grease and assemble the wheel bearings into the hubs and bolt to the new axle, add the wheels and roll under trailer, use new u  hangers and fish plates and bolt back together.

7 hours ago, shakey55 said:

This place at Granville will supply all the parts you need to replace axle etc (it’s a job you can do yourself)

Also

When you can drive unregistered

You can drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW for the purpose of obtaining registration.

You must drive the most direct or convenient route:

• To the nearest convenient registry or service centre
  • To the nearest convenient Authorised Inspection Station to determine whether the vehicle complies with the applicable vehicle standards
  • In the course of inspecting or testing the vehicle to determine if it complies with the applicable vehicle standards
  • To the nearest practicable weighbridge to determine the weight of the vehicle
  • From a registry or service centre, or authorised inspection station, where registration of the vehicle has been refused, to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs can be made, or where the vehicle can be garaged, unless a direction has been issued that the vehicle must not be driven until repairs have been made
  • From an Authorised Inspection Station to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs or adjustments can be made, or where the vehicle can be garaged
  • To the nearest convenient office of a licensed insurer for the purpose of obtaining CTP insurance
  • To the nearest convenient location for any other purpose directly associated with the registration process.

If you’re pulled over by the police while driving an unregistered vehicle, you may be asked to provide evidence that the vehicle is being driven for the purpose of obtaining registration. For example, you may need to provide a copy of the safety check or CTP insurance certificate showing payment for that day.

So to obtain my blue slip etc I can take my trailer there? 

16 hours ago, eastwood1980 said:

So to obtain my blue slip etc I can take my trailer there? 

Yes.  It clearly says ‘you can drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW for the purpose of obtaining registration. 

it then outlines a number of things - read the list of things and you will see that you are covered getting your blue slip

2 hours ago, shakey55 said:

Yes.  It clearly says ‘you can drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW for the purpose of obtaining registration. 

it then outlines a number of things - read the list of things and you will see that you are covered getting your blue slip

Thank you so much that info is so helpful I was worried how I was going to take the trailer to the repairs 

• Like 1