Full Moon curse continues!!!

tyrone07

With a little break in the weather I scored an invite with Backcruncher and scratchie to tag along and chuck some lures around Port Stephens/ Broughton Island. From previous experiences we all knew it was going to be tough fishing with the full moon the previous evening. The first three drifts at a spot scratchie had scored fish on Friday with multiple lure changes drew a blank, couple of hits that did not feel like our target species. We moved to a spot where Mick had scored a nice red previously and we found a couple of very small rat kings but again no reds. We moved to a spot where I would consider my favourite, threw on my confidence lure a seven inch motor oil jerk shad and first drift Jeff and I both missed fish that were definitely reds. We lined up the drift again and by this stage the wind/current had shifted and could not line the boat up to where the fish seemed to be holding. Things were looking grim when Jeff made the call to do a short drift inside where we had begun. Just as we were nearing the end of the drift I got my lure in the perfect zone and it was crunched mid water with the fish peeling drag, I played it out with the tell tale signs of a good red getting its nose down in the current and using those solid tail beats after a few nervous moments I had my Pb in the boat 78cm!!!!, we were all stoked. After this we could not get the drift right so moved to one more spot where Jeff got chewed off by a solid red that had swallowed his gulp live, spewing. I would say it’s the toughest day I have had out the island but the scenery and company was world class. 

6C9E8E4C-84B7-497F-8B6F-9E2A6A1A2DB8.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Great fish, Tyrone. Well done! I found it hard going today, too. At least you got a snapper and a good one at that! I only fished out the front today and made hundreds of casts for nothing. Did no good on a flathead drift either. Managed a good bonito on the troll to sort of salvage the day. I didn’t really mind as I was just so glad to have my boat back and motor working properly and to be in my happy place!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great report Tyrone! Glad we could help you out with another PB. 
Saying the fishing was tough is an understatement. For the amount of casts we put in, we should have scored a lot better results. Definitely curse of the full moon. But congrats on your new PB. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

Sorry but I would call a curse not bagging anything let alone a beast of a snapper like that let alone a PB!

Maybe sometime some of us have over inflated expectations or possibly have somewhat different definitions?

But thats fishing :whistling:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1

I think the full moon is always a curse in any type of fishing in my experience.. They say the moon eluminates at night and the fish can see an there for feed

Who knows but you still scored a Pb non the less

Congrats

Edited by quintrex52
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Congratulations on the PB Tyrone beautiful looking fish. Hooked up to a couple of good fish and landed one - not really cursed IMO

Cheers all, definitely not complaining with a PB, might take me a few more trips to beat it now, the last three full moon phases I have fished with Jeff we have found very similar circumstances in saying that the fish if you work hard enough are there, that came mid morning bang on a tide change, coincidence I don’t think so!!!