Yowie

Bate Bay flatties

Recommended Posts

You have seen it all before, pictures of flatties, but it was wall-to-wall flatties today, though not big ones at that.

The forecast was for a southerly change to blow up early this morning, then fade later in the day. My mate and I planned for it, the wind started dropping off, so we headed out in his boat around 11am out to Bate Bay.

I picked a spot, we headed there and the fish were on straight away. Not big fish, the ones we kept were 35 to 40 cm, so anything under that was released, apart from a couple of spikies kept for bait. We released about 3 times the amount of fish we kept, blue spots and spikies. One patch of blue spots were under 30cm, one after another, have never seen so many small blue spots like that. It is breeding time right now for these fish.

Only one slow drift of over 2 hours kept us busy, hardly drifting at all. The wind dropped off to below 10 knots near the end of fishing time.

There was not one other fishing boat I could see in Bate Bay, only a couple of sail boats. During that time, a small pod of dolphins splashed and jumped, looked as though they had bundled up a school of baitfish.

A couple of feeds of flattie fillets from tomorrow night.

 

fish.jpeg_207.thumb.png.96e4a5dcc0be0cee6d80cdb0034dea7b.png

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job ... and very tasty 😋 

cheers Zoran 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful. You never cease to amaze me. I would love to one day have you accompany me in my boat for a session to show me around a few spots in the port, but I realize you may not want to reveal your spots or your style of fishing to a total stranger. Well done once again and thanks for sharing.

Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd be happy with that any day mate. 

Well done 

Adem 

Edited by jnrfinatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great job ... and very tasty 😋 

cheers Zoran 

Thank you. They are good eating.

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Wonderful. You never cease to amaze me. I would love to one day have you accompany me in my boat for a session to show me around a few spots in the port, but I realize you may not want to reveal your spots or your style of fishing to a total stranger. Well done once again and thanks for sharing.

Frank

I have a few spots inside the Port that I don't want to divulge, however, there are places I don't fish that produce fish, so I am told. Trial and error over the years has shown me a few good spots, and some not so good.

2 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

You'd be happy with that any day mate. 

Well done 

Adem 

Yes, happy with that lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report and a great day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and a great day.

Thank you. Although not big fish, there was plenty of action in 90 feet of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 9:38 PM, Yowie said:

You have seen it all before, pictures of flatties, but it was wall-to-wall flatties today, though not big ones at that.

The forecast was for a southerly change to blow up early this morning, then fade later in the day. My mate and I planned for it, the wind started dropping off, so we headed out in his boat around 11am out to Bate Bay.

I picked a spot, we headed there and the fish were on straight away. Not big fish, the ones we kept were 35 to 40 cm, so anything under that was released, apart from a couple of spikies kept for bait. We released about 3 times the amount of fish we kept, blue spots and spikies. One patch of blue spots were under 30cm, one after another, have never seen so many small blue spots like that. It is breeding time right now for these fish.

Only one slow drift of over 2 hours kept us busy, hardly drifting at all. The wind dropped off to below 10 knots near the end of fishing time.

There was not one other fishing boat I could see in Bate Bay, only a couple of sail boats. During that time, a small pod of dolphins splashed and jumped, looked as though they had bundled up a school of baitfish.

A couple of feeds of flattie fillets from tomorrow night.

 

fish.jpeg_207.thumb.png.96e4a5dcc0be0cee6d80cdb0034dea7b.png

They are possibly the happiest looking flatheads I have seen.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a perfect day on the water Yowie. Plenty of top notch feeds there too. bn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Sounds like a perfect day on the water Yowie. Plenty of top notch feeds there too. bn

Thank you Neil. It was good day out there, surprising no other fishing boats to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TAZ said:

They are possibly the happiest looking flatheads I have seen.

Just happy to be caught by us - well, maybe not.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top stuff Yowie, cant be long now until the river really starts to pick up again. 

Cheers,

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Top stuff Yowie, cant be long now until the river really starts to pick up again. 

Cheers,

Rich

There were a few tailor buzzing about when we returned the other day, according to my mate's neighbour. Between Gymea Bay and North West Arm, and a couple of kingies as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yum !!  a few flatty fillets there.

Quick question...  How to you tell "spikies" from a small flathead of any other species?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, iconnolly said:

Yum !!  a few flatty fillets there.

Quick question...  How to you tell "spikies" from a small flathead of any other species?

 

 

I posted some photos a year ago. The spikeys have a very long spike on each side of the head, longer than any other flathead of a similar size, plus a smaller second spike. The spikeys grow to around 34cm long.

Platycephalus longispinus is their scientific name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,065
    • Total Posts
      521,944