Cooks River Flathead Soft Plastic

eladamrine

Hi, this is my first fish report.

I fished the airport side of Cooks River from 4PM-6PM today. I was casting only about 10m out from the land. It was my first time fishing using a soft plastic. There is a lot of places to cast from along the river, but most places require you to step in some mud to get close enough.

I was inspired to fish Cooks River and using soft plastic by watching Shroom's videos on YT. 

I landed an awesome Flathead about 15mins in. I didn't get to measure it, but it was about 40-45cm. It was released as i'm told you shouldn't eat anything from Cooks River. I had some other "bites", but did not catch anything else. 

I used the Zman Grub 2.5" in Watermelon Red.

Thanks

•  

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome to the forum & nice work on the flatty, they are fun to catch on SP's.

Apart from flatties there are also nice size jew caught at different locations in the cooks!

There are plenty of Sydney waterway where the nsw dpi recommends you not consume fish/seafood from.

It always pays to have a look on their website before fishing an area for that reason of if there are ant sanctuary zones etc.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/831518/botany-bay-cooks-river-closed-waters.pdf

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/closures/location-closures/botany-bay-and-georges-river

You could move around into the bay or along the Georges if you want to take a fish home.

Good luck :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. It is my first time in the area, so I will explore more of it next time. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Yes, Shroom seems to know what he is doing. I love watching his YT videos. It seems like he really enjoys fishing. 

Another fisherman also told me that there were jewfish in the area. However, I don't really have the gear or know how to target those at the moment. But I am looking forward to catching a few Bream and Flathead. 

I will keep an eye on that website. Thanks. 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, eladamrine said:

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. It was indeed my first fish on a lure. 

@nbdshroom Thanks for your YouTube videos. You actually told me how to do a basic retrieve and to learn to double uni knot in the comments section of one of your Cook River videos. 

Thank you again for the kind words! 

• Like 1

My first post on this forum. Been watching "shroom" videos on YT as well and love them.

Congrats on the flattie - the Cooks River is my next target after hitting the Georges for a while.

I have been getting good results with the Zman Grubz as well, especially Pumpkin Seed and Bloodworm coloured ones.

• Like 1