Sydney heads - Saturday 19/10

anthman

Hi all, a quick one for those who might be heading out tomorrow. 

Went to check out the heads today - did not get past them because at around 9:30am we came across a fairly sizable field of baitfish getting smashed (has been a long time since I've come across a good bustup! Bring on more!). The kind of bustup where the splashing was audible over the engine running (and excited shouting).

We tried a variety of lures (soft plastics, and metals), but what did the damage consistently in the end was a surface Walker about 10cm to match the "hatch" of chaotic splashing, you could say.

We ended up landing 3 fat salmon, lost about 5 due to various reasons. 

The baitfish eventually moved out and around north head, hugging close to the rocks.

Goodluck to anyone heading out tomorrow, hopefully this helps a fellow raider!

(Any other raiders out there this morning? I was in the small black and white stabi)

Edited by anthman
  • Like 6

Sounds fun. I have tried many things to get these fish when fishing bust ups in the heads. But nothing worked like an old lure my old mans mate showed me twenty years ago.

get a bit of clear bike tube. Cut it to around an inch long. Cut three strips about a cm long each up the strip from one end. Get a big clip swivel and force it from the back. Call it habit I always use the gold ones. Connect a single hook from the back. 

when you troll it it creates a very small air bubble behind the lure. 

for some reason the salmon live it. I have been out with mates and they tried lures, small metals everything in syd Dy heads. This was the only thing that worked consistently outperforming all other lutes 5 to 1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vara said:

Sounds fun. I have tried many things to get these fish when fishing bust ups in the heads. But nothing worked like an old lure my old mans mate showed me twenty years ago.

get a bit of clear bike tube. Cut it to around an inch long. Cut three strips about a cm long each up the strip from one end. Get a big clip swivel and force it from the back. Call it habit I always use the gold ones. Connect a single hook from the back. 

for some reason the salmon live it. I have been out with mates and they tried lures, small metals everything in syd Dy heads. This was the only thing that worked consistently outperforming all other lutes 5 to 1. 

Sounds interesting.

Do you have a picture of that one? 

7 hours ago, Vara said:

Cool, sounds like a 3piece/2jointed swimbait!

Very cheap lure too. It is import the ball of the swivel comes through. If the ball is stuck in the tube you don’t get the air going through which therefore means you don’t get that bubble effect. The back of the snap is what catches and prevents the tube pulling all the way down if that makes sense. Try it. It’s a beauty. 

Edited by Vara

31 minutes ago, Vara said:

Will get a picture now. Better ask young bloke how to do that. Lol

6CF346FF-3A39-4EDC-83F4-89B5FA46CA35.jpeg

Ah, now I get it.

Couldn't picture it they way you wrote it but now it makes sense, the whole bubble stream'n'all.

Doesn't matter whether its cheap or exy, if it works it works, just happens to be very cheap 😁

Edited by kingie chaser