NAV Lights

jordy

HI hoping a clued up raider can provide a quick solution to a electrical issue. Tuned up , cleaned up and charged up the boat its all ready. Bilge pump, bait tank, anchor light, cabin light , sounder and 12v accessory socket all ok. Nav lights wont work checked the starboard first and when I put the circuit tester on to check to see if getting power it lit up the light, remove the tester off it goes. The port light dead and receiving no power. They are LED type. Any ideas appreciated before I do total re-wire. Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, jordy said:

Thanks for the replies when i tested the lights switched on main switch and tested circuit directly on the led contact. no rewiring or by pass performed .

Were you testing on the positive (red) wire or the negative (black) wire?

Where did you attach you testing leads? 

@jordy it’s difficult to visualize where you connected the tester and hence what that implies. 
If you connected one terminal of the tester to a solid working negative source then :

1. Starboard- led lit up because where you connected tester you have completed the circuit and hence can conclude that light is missing a negative connection 

2. Port: no led light because that circuit may be missing a positive or the led is faulty. 

Where are you based?

Cheers Zoran 

Thanks for the feedback guys connected the earth of the tester to stainless steel fitting on grab rail and applied positive to positive wire on nav lights. Thinking bad earth (neg) on starboard and as you guys mentioned bad positive on port light as no voltage showing there, where as a good reading on starboard light but as mentioned earlier starboard light goes off as soon as I remove tester. Day off on Tuesday will launch a thorough investigation and possible re-wire on the cards. The type of tester has an earth cable with alligator clip in rear and a probe for the testing with a series of LED lights along the units length indicating voltage strength. Thanks again.

If you have a tester with a incandescent globe ( not LED globe) test the wires that the led is connected to.

If you have  sealed LED lights %%%%% the two cables that connect to your LED's if your tester lights up ( switch on of course) then you need to replace the sealed LED's. . If you are not getting power ( tester not illuminating) then go back to the switch . Test before the switch and after the switch. If you have power before the switch and not after then you know the problem.

Corroded wires  can have an on and off effect, if thats the case replace the wires with tinned wire.

Thanks again for all the great advice its a tinny and all wiring less than two years old and a pro job. Power going to the switch board as all other electricals are fine and each switch has its own led indicator which lights up for the nav lights. Im very confident ill nail it down tomorrow on my day off. Cheers Raiders.

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Glad that its fixed and thanks for posting back to close out. 👌

Cheers Zoran

Yes, isn't it frustrating when people ask for help but then just disappear and never report back if and how the problem was solved.

@jordy 👍 onya mate!

3 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Yes, isn't it frustrating when people ask for help but then just disappear and never report back if and how the problem was solved.

@jordy 👍 onya mate!

Or reply to their own thead with “fixed it”

3 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

@jordy 👍 onya mate!

Very true AMT, like the people who ask one question, get their question answered & never contribute anything themselves to the rest of the community again.

Sort of makes you feel like you have been used & abused & left by the roads side :ranting2:

But hey, that's how some people see forums...…………………………….....unfortunately😏 

• Like 1