Leader strength for bream

Bernie W

Hi gang,

The tackle shop owner suggested I use 2lb fluoro leader onto my 8lb braid mainline for chasing bream in clearer water in Middle Harbour. 
He suggested 2 rod lengths.
 Any thoughts? Did he just unload old stock or was he on the money? What are you guys using for bream from the kayak?

cheers

Bernie

Personally I like to use 6lb but find myself more often using 4. Bream are 1 species where slight changes in leader thickness can make a huge difference.

In clear water up on the flats I often go down to 3lb but that's where I draw my limit, mainly due to the amount of flathead bycatch I encounter.

Back in my ANSA days I did fish 2lb and its surprising how much pressure you can put on a fish with it. As long as there's not much structure around you can safely let a fish run without risking a lure loss. 

In the heavier fished waters around Sydney I think there probably is a space in your tackle bag for 2lb leader and two rod lengths is about what I always use no matter what breaking strain.

Around areas that are quite open i use 4lb leader with a 10 or 8 lb braid, if im going off the shore or somewhere that i could bycatch a flatty or run into rock structures normally run 6lb or even 8lb, my current setup is running 10lb braid with 6lb leader and seem to have had no issue with catching bream, also keeps my mind easy on a bycatch of a flatty, id rather run 6lb than 2lb and it snapping from a head shake.

I use 4 kg maxima ultra green leader and 4 lb braid. It doesn't seem to put the bream off in the Georges river. The braid is a lot stronger than the 4lb rating. Often I am able to straighten the jig head when snagged and get the lure back. Also I have landed plenty of flathead and jewies to 84 cm on it. 

I go 8lb fluro leader on 6lb braid I fish from kayak, boat and landbased but nearly all of my breaming is around structure or oyster leases plus potantial by-catch  so anything lighter would be suicidal

I try and run at least 1 1/2 rod lengths of leader