Tabs vs Famosa

Mark1284

Hi all, first post i normally just read along...

I am abut to purchase a 520 cuddy,  formosa classic and  tabs southerner are the top of the list as I can't stretch the budget further.. Anyone have any opinions on either or perhaps alternatives. i currently have a centre console which I love but the family want some cover and comfortability so I guess I am trying to cover all basis.

Cheers Mark

Either boat will be OK, hard to compare one brand to another, best to look at standard features that suit you, then can you add or delete certain things, is the price similar, lots of things, there is a dozen boats in that size and configuration to check out, look at as many as you can, and keep an open mind.

Got a TABS, CC , its a pretty well made boat, no issues at all, the Formosa also looked very good- dont think you can go wrong with either- i will ask you though, cause i have seen a few blokes go down the path you are about to walk and regret it -how often do the family go out with you really? If its a couple of times a year they wont go out more just cause theyve got shade and you will miss out on all the benefits of a CC- just get a shade top fitted.

• Like 2

Well we all benefit from a bit of protection. Wind and spray, especially in the winter. The sun in the summer. It also improves safety a bit having some structure up front (less likely to be swamped). More dry storage too.

I can't think of much of an advantage in a  centre console for offshore fishing. You can still cast from the rear if you position the boat, and more often you will be trolling or bottom fishing. 

• Like 1

Gees guys are you all soft! If its cold put on a jumper, if its wet a raincoat and if its sunny put on a hat- who needs shelter!!! Seriously though my comment to the OP was just based on a couple of guys who i know well who bought boats to make their better halfs happy/ier and it did not in either case increase the amount of trips the better half took with them (ie 1-2 per year on bright sunny windless days leaving home at 11am)- now i would understand the switch if better half was keen as mustard but having all the bells and whistles on board in my experience does not generally change a reluctant partner around. Im lucky, my wife comes out only in summer for beach days around the Hawkesbury (which i love too) but has not one jot of interest in fishing but gives me close to 100% freedom for me to come and go as I please  . I personally love the flexability that a CC gives me , i can spin for lizards from the front , the ability to run round the console has saved a couple of marlin from being lost when the driver (me) stuffed up , do any other sort of fishing you can think of- sure i need to be more careful on bar crossing etc than the owner of a half cab and it is more exposed in general but thats fine. Personally on a boat i hate seats and sloped surfaces (sorry Zoran for me thats every Signature ever built). However we all have our preferences and life would be damn boring if it where otherwise!

• Like 3

I love my 4.5m side console. Perfect for me fishing solo or 2 or 3 up but those cold days where I’m copping spray all over me while I’m punching to or from Broughton Island, I sometimes wish I had a cabin. I know the missus would appreciate one with a portable loo in it! If I had a cabin I might overnight at Broughton... 😉 Sometimes, though, I don’t want a cabin because then the missus might come out more and sometimes I really appreciate my time fishing on my own! 😂 I’ve been dreaming of a Formosa centre cabin for the walk around but then I’d also have to get a bigger tow vehicle! Probably never gonna happen!

• Like 2

It all comes down to YOUR preferences. Bugger everyone else. 
I have a half cabin Haines. 
For me, that is perfect for the type of fishing I do sometimes. Chasing Jew at night in the bay, staying in the Hawkesbury for hairtail or trolling the ocean. 
But then sometimes I wish I had a centre console whilst fishing for snapper or stick baiting. 
Although, then when I encounter the chop and wind etc on the way out or back I’m glad I have my boat because it suits MY applications and it’s not there just to please others! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Got a TABS, CC , its a pretty well made boat, no issues at all, the Formosa also looked very good- dont think you can go wrong with either- i will ask you though, cause i have seen a few blokes go down the path you are about to walk and regret it -how often do the family go out with you really? If its a couple of times a year they wont go out more just cause theyve got shade and you will miss out on all the benefits of a CC- just get a shade top fitted.

cheers Paddy, I am kind of happy to go down the cabin path as i prefer fishing outside either solo or with one other and I rarely use the front of the cc... But then a school of tuna start busting haha

Cheers guys, there is a 5k difference in price the formosa being the more expensive but also bigger motor. One thing I like about the Tabs is the 5083 grade ally, it has 4mm hull 3mm sides where the formosa has 4mm all round but its 5053 grade. The Formosa certainly has more functionality and seems like on board a little bit better design, but the trailer is better with the tabs.. Ill just keep see sawing till I get fed up and just get one.. 🤣

Edited by Mark1284

1 minute ago, kingfishbig said:

Bear in mind the Formosa Classic has a plywood floor - I don't know about the Tabs. 

PS: No problem if you want to cast to a school of tuna in a cuddy - just position the boat accordingly.

True, but damn its easy with a cc i normally take first cast as I'm approaching, nearly stopped past the cast a couple of times😂.

The Tabs has ply wood I think they call it action ply or something it has a black coating on it to help protect, I would hope they still seal where the cuts are made. I am happy to have a carpeted ply floor 1 its cheaper and 2 its all I have ever had other than a tinny with no false floor. Doesn't the plywood dampen the ride a bit? so I have heard.. What is your view on pros and cons (other than longevity)

4 minutes ago, Mark1284 said:

True, but damn its easy with a cc i normally take first cast as I'm approaching, nearly stopped past the cast a couple of times😂.

The Tabs has ply wood I think they call it action ply or something it has a black coating on it to help protect, I would hope they still seal where the cuts are made. I am happy to have a carpeted ply floor 1 its cheaper and 2 its all I have ever had other than a tinny with no false floor. Doesn't the plywood dampen the ride a bit? so I have heard.. What is your view on pros and cons (other than longevity)

Well that's why they do it - to keep the cost down. There is no real drawback other than it can be prone to dry rot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

It all comes down to YOUR preferences. Bugger everyone else. 
I have a half cabin Haines. 
For me, that is perfect for the type of fishing I do sometimes. Chasing Jew at night in the bay, staying in the Hawkesbury for hairtail or trolling the ocean. 
But then sometimes I wish I had a centre console whilst fishing for snapper or stick baiting. 
Although, then when I encounter the chop and wind etc on the way out or back I’m glad I have my boat because it suits MY applications and it’s not there just to please others! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

I've only been on a CC Formosa 520 once, it was offshore & the swell & the wind direction meant I put on my full wets very quickly & I still got drenched, wasn't a very comfortable trip to say the least.

I can see it would be amazing in certain situations & in good conditions.

Very nice boat but after that experience the cuddy's(is this the new tern for 1/2 cabin?) look very good to me & what I would steer towards myself for my next move in the boat world.

As you say scratchie its all personal preference but you have to get the opportunity to experience time on these vessels to get to know what's right for you 😁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

As you say scratchie its all personal preference but you have to get the opportunity to experience time on these vessels to get to know what's right for you 

I agree KC. 
I’ve been on a 560 Formosa tomahawk CC out to the shelf. 
We were faced with the worst storm I’ve ever encountered at sea and the boat held it own. I haven’t been on a tabs boat but the Formosa would be my next boat if I had money! 😫

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I agree KC. 
I’ve been on a 560 Formosa tomahawk CC out to the shelf. 
We were faced with the worst storm I’ve ever encountered at sea and the boat held it own. I haven’t been on a tabs boat but the Formosa would be my next boat if I had money! 😫

Actually I just looked at a picture of the boat again & its was actually a 550 tomahawk CC I went on,

Really nice boat but think I would like the half cabin version myself.

I'd like a lot more toys to, if only I had the dough 😁

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

I have a Horizon 525 Scorpion, which is similar to what you are looking at and might be an option to consider. 

Cheers mate, do you go offshore with it much?  That's actually what I started looking at as my mate has just got one with a 90 yamaha on the back, it goes great we got caught in a storm 2 weeks back about 30km offshore and although it was a bloody slow trip back it never looked like failing us. I then seen the tabs which was only a few k more with a better trailer.... then I seen the formosa hahaha its hard to draw the line as far as defining what do we really need and can afford

41 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Actually I just looked at a picture of the boat again & its was actually a 550 tomahawk CC I went on,

Really nice boat but think I would like the half cabin version myself.

I'd like a lot more toys to, if only I had the dough 😁

Same design  hull as what I am looking at although, longer and 5cm wider but I can not afford the 5083 grade alloy in formosa. It is hard to find a bad review about a similar sized formosa other than they are wet when sc or cc. Its hard to find a review on a similar tabs at all haha

9 hours ago, Mark1284 said:

Cheers mate, do you go offshore with it much?  That's actually what I started looking at as my mate has just got one with a 90 yamaha on the back, it goes great we got caught in a storm 2 weeks back about 30km offshore and although it was a bloody slow trip back it never looked like failing us. I then seen the tabs which was only a few k more with a better trailer.... then I seen the formosa hahaha its hard to draw the line as far as defining what do we really need and can afford

I have had the boat for nearly 3 years and it has 170hrs on it. I needed to upgrade as the family got bigger and found the second hand boats were too expensive for their age/hours and started looking at new. I wanted the cabin for a bit of protection in the ocean and to give the kids some shelter. The Horizon is a cuddy cab not a half cab so more fishing room and with a Yamaha 70hp 4 stroke was low 30's when i got it (and as far as my budget would stretch).

I fish mainly out of Port Hacking, off the national park, 12mile, peak and out to the FADS/shelf. I been very comfortable with the boats ability in the ocean, it is a pressed ally hull and you have to drive to the conditions but have always felt safe. I also fish and boat in the Port Hacking with the family a bit and the boat does this well.

The lighter hull won't ride in the ocean as well as a plate or glass boat but has advantages of a smaller engine using less fuel, easy to handle single handed at the ramp, good for going into the shallows and pulling up on a beach and can be towed by a smaller vehicle.

For the money i am happy with my purchase and would recommend it. 

IMG_1699.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

I have had the boat for nearly 3 years and it has 170hrs on it. I needed to upgrade as the family got bigger and found the second hand boats were too expensive for their age/hours and started looking at new. I wanted the cabin for a bit of protection in the ocean and to give the kids some shelter. The Horizon is a cuddy cab not a half cab so more fishing room and with a Yamaha 70hp 4 stroke was low 30's when i got it (and as far as my budget would stretch).

I fish mainly out of Port Hacking, off the national park, 12mile, peak and out to the FADS/shelf. I been very comfortable with the boats ability in the ocean, it is a pressed ally hull and you have to drive to the conditions but have always felt safe. I also fish and boat in the Port Hacking with the family a bit and the boat does this well.

The lighter hull won't ride in the ocean as well as a plate or glass boat but has advantages of a smaller engine using less fuel, easy to handle single handed at the ramp, good for going into the shallows and pulling up on a beach and can be towed by a smaller vehicle.

For the money i am happy with my purchase and would recommend it. 

IMG_1699.jpg

Nice one mate I certainly haven’t ruled it out! Unfortunately they are about 40 now (from what I can get) my mate who bought one a month or two ago paid 42 with a 90yammy and all clears and a few other extras.. that’s why I am considering the others as they are not all that much more for plate alloy. Did you get the biminy with it? What exactly distinguishes a Cuddy from half cab I am a bit confused to certain manufacturers interpretations?

i appreciate the feedback

Edited by Mark1284