2016 Daiwa Certate

slurm

G'day all,

I have been meaning to pick up a 2016 Daiwa Certate as prices have dropped recently but I am lost for size as I believe reel sizes are not universal across brands..

I'd be looking at something around the 4000-5000 Shimano equivalent and some research suggests I would be after the 3012h or 3500hd model.

It is a replacement for my Stradic which broke over the weekend so I intend to use it for light beach work as well as a small boat outfit.

Am I on the right track?

I appreciate your time!

Hi slurm

Although I don't own a certate I do own a Daiwa Morethan 3012H, which is just a tricked up certate. I also own a Stradic 5000 and can tell you the body size of these 2 reels is almost identical.

If its any help my Morethan holds 200m of PE 1.5 perfectly and the Stradic takes 300m of the same line plus a little backing.

Edited by Green Hornet

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Hi slurm

Although I don't own a certate I do own a Daiwa Morethan 3012H, which is just a tricked up certate. I also own a Stradic 5000 and can tell you the body size of these 2 reels is almost identical.

If its any help my Morethan holds 200m of PE 1.5 perfectly and the Stradic takes 300m of the same line plus a little backing.

Thanks for your reply mate. I'll be picking one up very shortly, cheers!

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Arent the Certates only to be serviced by DAiwa- if thats still the case i persoanlly would touch them.

Thanks for your reply Paddy. I wasn't aware of this but am keen to look into it - definitely changes things! Cheers

sorry typed that in a hurry-I wouldnt buy a reel that could only be serviced by Daiwa- as ive mentioned before my experience with them is that the service is incredibly slow and expensive. Mate of mine who used to own a tackle store hated getting anything done by them because inevitably he copped all the flack.

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Arent the Certates only to be serviced by DAiwa- if thats still the case i persoanlly would touch them.

Partly correct. If you are capable of servicing your own reels the only issue that can arise with Daiwa are the magseal bearings, otherwise its just like any other reel. As long as the magseal oil is intact the bearings are fine and best left alone. My Morethan has copped a flogging for 4 years and the bearings are still silent and tight with zero maintenance during that time. On the bright side if your magseal oil did need replacing and you decided to go down that path, Daiwa's after sales service has vastly improved recently. Or you can just replace said bearings with quality, aftermarket parts and service the same as any other reel. 

I was hesitant when I first bought my Daiwa but down the track its become apparent to me the magseal side of things was really a fear of the unknown and I am more than happy with the performance of the reel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another magseal reel.

i have a Stella 4000 in the boat that literally lives in it- it gets a spray with warm soapy water after each trip, never been oiled, greased, or serviced in anyway and has racked up around 1000 fish -bonnies,tuna,kings,dollies ,jew,snapper,mackeral -ive had it for 7 years , i think for any expensive reel that should be expected . Ill believe Daiwa has improved when i take one of my 3 remaining Daiwa's in for service and they get it back to me in a reasonable time frame.

Thanks for all the replies legends! Shimano were actually very helpful in regards to following up a warranty claim so that's a big up in my book. Will consider all of the above in the coming weeks on the hunt for a new outfit. Cheers

18 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Never had  Daiwa or Shimano reel that needed a warranty repair.

I must be lucky :soccer_h4h: 

must be, worn a few shimanos out- sent them in for new bearings and a tart up-back to new-eg got a Stradic 2500 that is 15 years old - due for new bearings now-otherwise in tip top shape and again it gets a flogging-these days i mainly use it to catch squid and bait

On 21 October 2019 at 10:03 AM, slurm said:

G'day all,

I have been meaning to pick up a 2016 Daiwa Certate as prices have dropped recently but I am lost for size as I believe reel sizes are not universal across brands..

I'd be looking at something around the 4000-5000 Shimano equivalent and some research suggests I would be after the 3012h or 3500hd model.

It is a replacement for my Stradic which broke over the weekend so I intend to use it for light beach work as well as a small boat outfit.

Am I on the right track?

I appreciate your time!

Hi,

Do you have a rod already or in mind. I have certates in the sizes you are looking at. Personally like them in smaller sizes then Stella's in larger sizes. 

Cheers

13 hours ago, rippinlips said:

Hi,

Do you have a rod already or in mind. I have certates in the sizes you are looking at. Personally like them in smaller sizes then Stella's in larger sizes. 

Cheers

Thanks for your reply mate. It was to go on a Daiwa Lazy 9.6ft 15-60g but I've decided to stay with the Stradic following a great response from Shimano regarding repair. Big fan of the Certates and hoping to pick one up eventually.