Boat out of water

Dunelle

Looking at buying a fibre glass boat that has been out of water for 6 years and was wondering how long fibre glass hulls last.

Anything else I should be looking at or aware of.

Appreciate your help as hoping to become a first time boat owner but don't want to get stuck with a sinker

Biggest thing i would be looking out for is how long it has been in the sun?? any sun damage signs? signs of any previous repairs? is it fully painted or a project etc?? and if it was properly cured if there is any repairs done to the boat itself??

Check the hull all over and inspect the transom along with running boards etc, i know with cars that have had fibreglass in them to repair rust they are prone to crack left in the humid sun. If the hull has been kept in a garage for several years check for moisture bubbles (like rust)etc.

biggest giveaway will be the interior, if the interior of the cab has signs of warn out fibreglass chances are the rest of the boat will too.

Six years old is still a young boat, if you mean the age is that long. Fiberglass boats can last indefinitely but a wood is often used in construction which is prone to rotting. Try flexing the outboard when tillted up to see if there is any movement/ cruching sounds. Also you can tap around the transom with your knuckles and if any areas make a dull sound then this is a warning sign.

It's a good thing that the boat has been stored out of the water as permanently mored boads are prone to osmosis.

PS: What make and model is it?

It is a friends boat and they are offering it to me very cheap, it has been sitting on a trailer at the side of their house in full weather for 6 years, was used 3 times in the 3 years before that. It is a 1976 model

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

Edited by Dunelle

I'd do a water test to make sure everything is working. Was the motor run at all over the last 6 years and was it serviced? If not it might be hard to even start, the carbies might be gummed up, pistons could be stuck, the impeller will probably have degraded. The boat might not be that cheap once you have factored in the price of a new motor.

The trailer will need new tyres and possibly new bearings. Also there is a good chance the steering has siezed up. You are probably up for a new battery too. 

I would also check the floor for any softness and look along the bottom of the hull for any deformities.

Unless you want a project boat you might be better to buy one that is a going concern, ie one that is being used and everything is working. 

If your talking a few cartons I would grab it, any more than a few hundred and I would walk away.

using the leg of the motor lift the motor up and down and see if the transom moves or flexes. 

Lift the floor hatches to see if there is any rot.

can you put it in the water and see how it floats, make sure you remove the bungs first and drain the boat of rainwater, then replace the bungs and put it in the water, leave on trailer at first and look for leaks, then move it to the wharf and check for leaks. Keep the trailer handy.

Check the trailer and grease the bearing or replace before towing, tyres will need replacing due to age and possible cracks

Test the Trailer lights as well.

I would take a fully charged battery and some lube and fill the engine cylinders with penetrating oil a week before hand, remove the plugs and see if you can turn the motor over using the fly wheel first.

Edited by jeffb5.8