Swansea flatty's

lakelad

Following a Saturday getting out on the lake to watch the racing 'super boats' with the kids I found a window for a fish on Sunday arv.

After losing my favourite lure to a large unsighted specimen two weeks ago I'd received 3 more of the exact lure in the post (yo-zuri divers) and was keen to try for the same beast that stripped my line from a 10,000 saragosa on a 24kg t-curve, then snapped my 60lb leader when running around a breakwall. I'm picturing a kingy with my yo-zuri hanging out of it's mouth but who knows what it was, that's fishing!

For this trip I started a troll up the channel and out of the heads, the SE made for bumpy conditions in the 4.6m Stacer and given I accidentally left my phone in the car and was by myself figured I'd head back into the channel. Whilst the beast from last time wasn't available for round two the new lure came good and I caught a flatty on my on the way to the sandy flats, then another soon after pulling up on a smaller white hard bodied lure (44 & 46cm).

Interestingly the flatty's must have been chewing on small crabs, as a couple were regurgitated into my live tank where I kept the flatty's fresh for a little while. I might have to try the cranka crabs in flathead country and see how they go..

All in all a good result to get out for some sun and time on the water, looking forward to more time out after work for sunset now we have daylight savings time in NSW.

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5986.jpg

• Like 2

I caught a couple of fatties in Brisbane Waters last week and one had a crab in his gut and a couple of the small hard bodied yabbies (not pink nippers). Maybe they like crabs this time of year or there just isn't much small fry around to feed on? I haven't seen any schools of whitebait in the bay yet.

Fil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

I caught a couple of fatties in Brisbane Waters last week and one had a crab in his gut and a couple of the small hard bodied yabbies (not pink nippers). Maybe they like crabs this time of year or there just isn't much small fry around to feed on? I haven't seen any schools of whitebait in the bay yet.

Fil

Green nippers, they also live in the sand but not down holes like pink nippers, and usually found in lakes.

I have caught a few by puddling, that is, stirring up the sand with my feet in shallow sandy/weedy areas then picking them up when they are out of the sand. A tougher bait than pink nippers.

• Like 2