Quintrex explorer trophy vs Hornet trophy

mowzeh

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I am looking at buying my first boat and am looking at either quintrex explorer trophy 385. This is in my price range and suits my fishing needs well. I have seen this mentioned elsewhere and the answer always seems to be to go for the hornet trophy as it is a better ride in the chop. I was hoping I could get some clarification on this topic. I will be fishing inshore only. If anyone is familiar with the areas, I will be fishing the Georges river, Port Hacking river and Parramatta river in Sydney. There can be the occasion when the wind gets up and there is chop on either of these systems (as well as having the regular ferries on the parramatta river). Can anyone give some guidance on these two hulls? If I can I would rather stick to the explorer trophy as that is in my price range, and if I was to go for the hornet trophy I would definitely have to stretch my budget.

If you have any questions for clarification please ask. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There open boats, ya gunna get wet !!!!! I had a 385 with a 25 ST on the back. Extremely stable, But I wouldn't take it out to Lion Island in a choppy swell, River boat only for me !!  The hornets at that time started at 4 meters and were deeper, Much better in the open water, When the salmon were on Lion Island looked like a Hornets Nest !!!!  Howard.

Have a look at the Makocraft. I have a 375 topper now. 390 Mako I think would rival the 385 explorer. Its even wider. 

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/14f11a_9c28054bc27c40fda74b3214b59f8b52.pdf no idea of prices !! 

I also had a 385 explorer with a Honda 20 which was a an awesome little boat and I would hapily buy another. I towed mine all over the country and had some great adventures in the NT with the family. At home It would pull a donut with the three kids and myself and the wife onboard. I regularly launched from an exposed ocean boat ramp where I headed about 6km offshore 25-20km from the ramp, even did a few trips out around Montague with it. Mine certainly wasn't a wet ride (eclipse hull). I altered the bottom floorings so that it could be pulled out and laid flat between the casting decks, making a safe platform for the kids to camp with a dome tent while close to croc rivers. Sold for $3400 at 4 years old.

_MG_2271.jpg.ce5bac3e1c88339cb6d063fdfaeb668c.jpg_MG_2272.thumb.jpg.cdedb63837e01ec3c4b886a8064f71a0.jpg_MG_2279.jpg.94ef77e6549781e00c20b11ffc215145.jpg_MG_2283.jpg.d609358c0a389c03b1d864b1c1df5e59.jpg

• Like 1

Just to add this was the electric power trim outboard. It had a tiny little 12 lt fuel tank that was enough for a full day on any river system. Solas props sorted me with a prop to get enough thrust to use with the donut.

Edited by JonD