New Whiting PB - 23/10/2019

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Hi raiders,

Had the afternoon off work today so thought I'd sneak out for a quick afternoon fish in the Hacking with the main goal of targeting some whiting. Got there at low tide to start pumping some nippers and with a few in the bucket, I was ready to go. The afternoon started quite slow with only a few sporadic nibbles on the incoming tide. Down to my last two nippers so decided to move around the point and saw a little drop off near the edge of the sandbank that I thought may have been worth a try and boy was it. Within a few seconds - WHACK! I was on. 

At first I thought I'd caught a smaller model as there wasn't much fight but as soon as it got onto the sandbank, it took right off which lead me to loosen the drag out a little. After a few good little runs, in came a 41cm whiting. Dispatched quickly, bled and straight onto ice. The only decision now is, salt and pepper whiting or if I get it on to the BBQ over coals with some Indian spices (a new recipe I've been wanting to try for some time now). 

Snapchat-1126096343.jpg

20191023_163059.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Don't overspice whiting when cooking it, does not need too much strong flavouring.

The Indian recipe I have is for snapper, so this would make a lot of sense. Suggest not doing it then?

Ironically don't tend to cook a lot of fish but this recipe is essentially a masala paste (Kashmiri chilli, onion, garlic, ginger, cloves, peppercorn, cassia bark, cumin seeds, ground tumeric and malt vinegar and salt) and then you score the fish and rub the paste on, quickly pan fry it to seal it and then into the oven with foil on top for 5-10 min. A bit overkill for the humble whiting?

Edited by SydneyIsSkyBlue

9 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

The Indian recipe I have is for snapper, so this would make a lot of sense. Suggest not doing it then?

Ironically don't tend to cook a lot of fish but this recipe is essentially a masala paste (Kashmiri chilli, onion, garlic, ginger, cloves, peppercorn, cassia bark, cumin seeds, ground tumeric and malt vinegar and salt) and then you score the fish and rub the paste on, quickly pan fry it to seal it and then into the oven with foil on top for 5-10 min. A bit overkill for the humble whiting?

Sounds a bit spicy for a whiting. Only way to find out is to try it.

• Like 2

Guest Guest123456789
10 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Sounds like a great Aussie Salmon or tailor recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Whiting has a very delicate flavour. The way I cook it is fillet it and dry the fillets with a paper towel. In a pan I put some flour, salt and some herbs (master foods lemon/garlic) or similar. Place the fillets in that to lightly coat them. Get a good Teflon frypan and spray some aerosol olive oil onto the pan. When it's hot place the fillets onto the pan skin side down for a couple of minutes until the flesh side up shows signs of cooking through. Serve with lemon juice or (tartare sauce for the kids). I also debone the fillets coz my wife and daughter prefer that. Nice elbow slapper BTW. I love the big sudden runs they do when they see the boat. They are my favourite fish. COOOOME OOON YOOOUU BOOOYS IIIN BLUUUE. Derby mania Saturday. I'll be there!

Edited by Keflapod

8 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Whiting has a very delicate flavour. The way I cook it is fillet it and dry the fillets with a paper towel. In a pan I put some flour, salt and some herbs (master foods lemon/garlic) or similar. Place the fillets in that to lightly coat them. Get a good Teflon frypan and spray some aerosol olive oil onto the pan. When it's hot place the fillets onto the pan skin side down for a couple of minutes until the flesh side up shows signs of cooking through. Serve with lemon juice or (tartare sauce for the kids). I also debone the fillets coz my wife and daughter prefer that. Nice elbow slapper BTW. I love the big sudden runs they do when they see the boat. They are my favourite fish. COOOOME OOON YOOOUU BOOOYS IIIN BLUUUE. Derby mania Saturday. I'll be there!

Ended up doing it lightly pan fried (flour, green Schezuan pepper corns - ground and salt) with some ginger, garlic, chilli and shallots and then drizzled with a squeeze of lime. 

HAHAHA love it mate! See you in the away end, it's going to be crazy! :D