Hawksbury River Fishing

Berrero

Hi Raiders,

I'm hiring a 45' houseboat with 4 other friends on the Hawksbury next weekend.

Bit of a generic "guys weekend away" but primary focus is fishing. None of us have fished the Hawksbury system before and we were just planning on boating around looking for some fishy spots but thought I'd ask here for any recommendations also.

We're launching near Brooklyn marina. I'm assuming the boat will be quite slow but happy to cruise around however long it takes if it's for a decent fishing spot.

Feel free to PM if you'd prefer it not be posted in public. (I'm in no way after any secret spots! :))

Thanks guys. Tight lines.

Edited by Berrero

I did the same thing years ago with the family went a fair way up stream to a public buoy near wisemans ferry got decent bream early next morning. It would be good if you can take a tinnie to fish from and use the houseboat as a base.

Houseboats are great fun, best results fishing wise are if you take your own boat. The anchoring systems on the houseboats arent the greatest and therefore your best options (especially if you are planning on drinking a few brews!) is to use public moorings and tie up. Cowan Creek in particular is a fantastic place to overnight- hang a squid jig over the side at mooring and you should get a few squid. Usually a few gar around the moorings in most places up there. Last time we went as a family we towed my boat along and sat the houseboat as a base on a mooring- very relaxing , we mainly ate crabs (that i caught mainly out of Cowan- not enough tide in Cowan for good crabs) and squid.

Thank you so much for your recommendations guys the house boat comes with a small Tinny with an outboard so we should still be able to get around pretty well. looks like we're going to be heading to Cowan Creek :)

I will definitely report back and post a fishing report once we're back home

thanks again guys