Jimmys Beach fishing suggestions

horsleyboy

Hi Fishos, my mates and i are heading up to Jimmy's Beach (NSW) first week of December. It's a new area for us all to fish at, so i was wondering if anyone had any advice on spots to try and species to target.

We're intermediate experience and mainly fish salt water, whether its of the estuary, beach or rocks. We do not have a boat or kayaks for the weekend, but if there are spots that are too hard to ignore that require one, im sure we can arrange to hire one.

Advice on rig/bait/lures will always be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
HB

Are you talking Jimmy’s Beach on the north shore of Port Stephens? If so, you should pick up flathead and whiting at that time of year. It’s not particularly deep water but you can wade the flats and flick lures/plastics for lizards or fish live worms for whiting. You can also try surface lures for whiting but I don’t know much about that style of fishing. Just stay clear of the sanctuary zone at the western end of the beach (see map). You can also try the Myall River behind or Hawkes Nest beach.

9A6D63A5-C52A-4AB0-AC87-AA373E32B0E2.png

Thanks Baz, yes that's the exact location. We're all pretty experienced in fishing for flatties and whiting and have an extensive soft plastic collection, so we will use that.

I've always wanted to fish out some live beach worms of my own. I've just never got around to doing it. From what i've seen, pillies and sand in an old stocking, drag it in arcs along the edge of the water and get a particular kind of plier/tweeser type device to gently pull them out when their head pokes out?

Thanks again!
HB

Try for the worms along Hawks Nest beach. You should be able to catch bream, whiting, flathead, salmon, tailor off Hawks Nest Beach and similar off Jimmy's but obviously its a rough beach vs a bay at Hawks Nest. You can also get squid at Jimmy's if the ribbon weed is within casting distance.

Method  for beach worms is simple in theory but i am very bad at extracting them. Any stinky fish in an onion bag or stocking works. Take or use a tough hand bait like squid or pipi to get the worm to bite to bring it up a bit more before grabbing. Some guys use the stocking as the hand bait too.