Topwater flathead in the Parramatta River

Berrero

Hey raiders,

For the uninitiated... yes you read that correctly, flathead on topwater.

After seeing some decent success online and on a few of doclures' podcasts I thought I'd give this crazy trend a try.

Picked up two crossfire 115 lures and tried my luck a few times in the past week. They are sort of like the bent minnow lures but a larger profile and a very slow float back to the surface.

Finally had success yesterday afternoon when I landed a 57cm lady. She looked very healthy and even scored a nice aerial display as she took the lure!

Gear used was my 7" Daiwa TD Zero rod, stradic ci4+ 2500 reel spooled with 8lb kairiki braid and 12lb FC rock leader.

Fun fight, she had a few decent runs and was safely released to swim around another day.

Definitely going to keep at this new trend. I'll keep you all posted on any further success! :)

tight lines,

chris

Screenshot_20191029-113402_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191029-113425_Gallery.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome fun, isn't it. Sometimes their aerial attacks scare the crap out of you and being low to the water in a kayak just emphasises the experience.

I caught onto it when flatties kept hammering my bream and whiting surface lures on the St Georges Basin flats.

I Haven't tried Crossfire lures yet but have caught plenty on smaller OSP bent minnows.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

What do you mean or define by 'top water'?

Catching large flathead in 'shallow' water is no new thing & which is what I see in he vid.

Catching flathead on surface on 5, 10,15,20 meters of water well that's another story!

Was caught in about a foot and a half of water, right next to a weed bed.

Released it at the shore 

Lure was taken floating on the surface, and it's what it's being called online 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Berrero

3 minutes ago, Berrero said:

Was caught in about a foot and a half of water, right next to a weed bed.

Lure was taken floating on the surface, and it's what it's referred to online 🤷‍♂️

So not top water but shallow water!!

Not taking anything away from your catch but 2 different thing imo 

Edited by kingie chaser

11 hours ago, Berrero said:

Hey raiders,

For the uninitiated... yes you read that correctly, flathead on topwater.

After seeing some decent success online and on a few of doclures' podcasts I thought I'd give this crazy trend a try.

Picked up two crossfire 115 lures and tried my luck a few times in the past week. They are sort of like the bent minnow lures but a larger profile and a very slow float back to the surface.

Finally had success yesterday afternoon when I landed a 57cm lady. She looked very healthy and even scored a nice aerial display as she took the lure!

Gear used was my 7" Daiwa TD Zero rod, stradic ci4+ 2500 reel spooled with 8lb kairiki braid and 12lb FC rock leader.

Fun fight, she had a few decent runs and was safely released to swim around another day.

Definitely going to keep at this new trend. I'll keep you all posted on any further success! :)

tight lines,

chris

Screenshot_20191029-113402_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191029-113425_Gallery.jpg

Great stuff. Stary night that bottom picture. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, kingie chaser said:

What do you mean or define by 'top water'?

Catching large flathead in 'shallow' water is no new thing & which is what I see in he vid.

Catching flathead on surface on 5, 10,15,20 meters of water well that's another story!

Top water means catching something on the surface right using a top water lure! eg not a weighted plastic or a bibbed HB???

4 hours ago, onearmedfisho said:

Top water means catching something on the surface right using a top water lure! eg not a weighted plastic or a bibbed HB???

I think its just one of those things that is open to interpretation, from what the OP is saying he is skipping a surface lure on the surface hence 'top water' even if it is in 18 inches of water.

Anyway whatever you want to call it, it worked 😁

Good luck to him 😉

18 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I think its just one of those things that is open to interpretation, from what the OP is saying he is skipping a surface lure on the surface hence 'top water' even if it is in 18 inches of water.

Anyway whatever you want to call it, it worked 😁

Good luck to him 😉

Topwater in shallow water, top water in deep water :P

I think it comes down to the lure and technique, if it's predominantly on the surface of the water, then it's topwater, regardless of depth. 

3 hours ago, anthman said:

Topwater in shallow water, top water in deep water :P

I think it comes down to the lure and technique, if it's predominantly on the surface of the water, then it's topwater, regardless of depth. 

Whatever floats your boat :whistling:

Fish caught, enjoyed, released.

End of story👍