Sign in to follow this  
motiondave

Fibreglass...marine and or standard

Hello fine people.

Fibreglass and resin.

Is there actually marine variety? 

Would standard hardware store glass and resin be ok still?

Reason I ask is that it is over 1.5 hr round trip to either RTM in Penrith or Whitworth at Drummoyne. 

I'd prefer to buy closer to home and not loose a few hours running around.

Dave. 

18 hours ago, motiondave said:

Hello fine people.

Fibreglass and resin.

Is there actually marine variety? 

Would standard hardware store glass and resin be ok still?

Reason I ask is that it is over 1.5 hr round trip to either RTM in Penrith or Whitworth at Drummoyne. 

I'd prefer to buy closer to home and not loose a few hours running around.

Dave. 

I don't think so. But there are different types of resins with different charateristcs. Eg you can get polyester resin or epoxy resin. Polyester is cheaper and the most commonly used. Epoxy is more adhesive and more waterproof. There is another type - vinly ester, which is somewhat in between in characteristics. Just remember that not all cloths and mats are compatable with all resins. 

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Thanks 1

ok, thanks for the info so far.

appreciate the help

Dave. I have a few metres of really thick matting here, you can peel layers off it to the desired thickness you need. You can buy the resin online to any quantity you need from 250mill to 20 ltrs. Drop by and you can have as much matting as you need, sorry got no resin left. Had a 44 gallon drum of it but it developed a hole and dried out. Got 3 ltrs of M E K P but I think it would be past it's used by date.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, frankS said:

Dave. I have a few metres of really thick matting here, you can peel layers off it to the desired thickness you need. You can buy the resin online to any quantity you need from 250mill to 20 ltrs. Drop by and you can have as much matting as you need, sorry got no resin left. Had a 44 gallon drum of it but it developed a hole and dried out. Got 3 ltrs of M E K P but I think it would be past it's used by date.

Frank

Thanks man..can you PM me an address and phone number please. I can visit this Saturday mid morning. 

Dave

PM sent.

Frank

• Thanks 1

My last fibreglass job was in 2017 and I had 500ml of resin left over. Just checked and its gone off ... cactus. 

Sent you a PM with the place where I was referred to by and ex fibreglasser  - a one stop shop with reasonable prices.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

Maybe the "Marine" ones are UV stabilized so that they don't yellow after a few years in the sun.

Online might be the go if you don't mind waiting. It will save the drive

• Like 1

8 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Maybe the "Marine" ones are UV stabilized so that they don't yellow after a few years in the sun.

Online might be the go if you don't mind waiting. It will save the drive

the vessel will be garaged in between use and maybe hit the water 5-10 times a year, and will be painted. So not overly concerned about it going yellow, Id be surprised if it did after a few years.

• Like 1