kingbonito

Rock fishing set up

Recommended Posts

I’m changing over from a spinning reel to a over head for live baiting off the rocks what can you guys recommend ? Reel and rod ? I don’t want a short 6ft if I can get a 8ft plus suited for a over head 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi kingbonito the "Venom" series of rods are designed for o/head reels and are about 8 ft long. Wilson used to make a LBG special (fibreglass) about 8+half ft long 15-25 kg purpose built- they are an excellent, tough rod if you can find one. Match with a Shimano TLD 30, maybe not as fancy as more expensive reels but they work well and are built well, have 3 sizes (15,25 and 2 speed 30) all over 15 yrs old and never replaced a part

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost bought Wilson one - it looked nice, however 1 piece was not much comfortable for transportation. You can also check online  NZ tackle shops  where LBG o/head rods are more common and more affordable.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kingbonito said:

@wazatherfisherman thanks for the info bro

No worries, the Wilson fibreglass did have 1 drawback- the blank is a really large diameter, same with the winch. It was too 'fat' to be able to attach the reel clamp, but does have double locking nuts and quality hood.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are lucky you could find texaliums around at independent tackle stores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But personally i would just live bait on my rock/beach bait outfit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched to "ISO" fishing, letting the bait float to avoid snags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marmot said:

I switched to "ISO" fishing, letting the bait float to avoid snags

I dont think an ISO setup can handle a live yakka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xerotao said:

I dont think an ISO setup can handle a live yakka

Use a large float, my co-worker told me he used live bait and managed a tuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Marmot said:

Use a large float, my co-worker told me he used live bait and managed a tuna

Was this the yellowfin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

Was this the yellowfin?

Yes, I didn't ask about the size, as I didn't, still, don't believe yellowfin could be so close to the shore. He told me the location--I searched it, I forgot it now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Marmot said:

Yes, I didn't ask about the size, as I didn't, still, don't believe yellowfin could be so close to the shore. He told me the location--I searched it, I forgot it now....

Yellowfin used to be quite a regular capture from the shore at places like the rock platforms around Beecroft Peninsula, Jervis Bay, back in the day. 😉 I’ve also seen them quite near shore in the SouthWest Arm, Port Hacking. I hand fed one from my boat which was anchored about 10m from the bank (bugger wouldn’t take a bait with a hook in it!). Sadly, you have to fish pretty wide for them these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 5:29 PM, Berleyguts said:

Yellowfin used to be quite a regular capture from the shore at places like the rock platforms around Beecroft Peninsula, Jervis Bay, back in the day. 😉 I’ve also seen them quite near shore in the SouthWest Arm, Port Hacking. I hand fed one from my boat which was anchored about 10m from the bank (bugger wouldn’t take a bait with a hook in it!). Sadly, you have to fish pretty wide for them these days.

I guess that's because of over-fishing. Every time I see some people, especially near Ugly bridge, and estuary of Cook River), catch fish no matter of the sizes, I feel bad.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I remember the Yellowfin on ISO, I heard it was full of worms, hence the it wasn't a big fight for the species as usual and could explain why it was closer to shore than usual that time. But I have seen other reports of yellowfin caught shore based before, just not landed on ISO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,413
    • Total Posts
      525,323