HOW TO USE FLARES

mrsswordfisherman

This video was taken with permission of RMS Educator Ray Lonsdale during a boating safety presentation to the Campbelltown Catholic Club fishing group.

It is an excellent presentation by Ray who showed us just what actually happens when you activate flares. Thank you RMS for providing the teams that give us presentations on boating safety. The addition of the flare demonstration was very well received by the group and a new feature that should be done for boaters/anglers wherever possible.

Donna aka mrsswordfisherman  (Community Manager)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Donna. Thanks for putting that up on the site. I am approaching 73 years of age and have been a boat owner  since I was 16 and I never realised the flares got so hot that they could burn a hole in a boat. It's a really good presentation and one that each and every member should watch and learn. I will be handing in all my old out of date flares during collection.

And this thread deserves a post of the month award IF there was such a thing.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@frankS thanks Frank

I was very impressed also. I did not realise how dangerous they could be if not handled safely either.

This should be watched by all. 

Here is the link for where to hand in your the expired flares.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/flare-disposal.html 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:46 AM, Welster said:

I was thinking the same. 

I have... after getting severe burns to my right index finger whilst GIVING a flare demo a couple of weeks ago.

The instructions on the flares are not really that clear.   A good demo video is invaluable to explain what to do IN DETAIL !!

• Like 2

I've just had another look at this video. THe presenter DOES NOT stress enough the need to extend the 'handle' of the RED flare until it LOCKS in to position.  He does say he has seen the flare slide back in to the handle... which is what happened to me.. and I got burned through leather welding gloves.

When the handle is extended there is a 'click' heard when the handle locks.  If you can slide the flare back in to the handle you have not locked it... and you risk getting burned!

Have a look at your own flares and check out how to prepare them.. If you need to use flares you are already in a stressful situation and its no time to try to read and understand the instructions!!

flare burns.jpg