point65 Martini GTX Angler Tandem

Marmot

I'm interested in this model of kayak, yet haven't found any vendors selling this model. Another version --Mercury touring can be obtained from C-Kayak.

I started to question myself about the choice, as usually people don't import and sell something customers don't like.

So here come two questions: 1) Is it silly to buy such a kayak to go fishing in creeks/lakes/bays, even ocean? 2) How to buy this model cheap and easy?

Many thanks for your time, I'm a starter trying to learn a thing or two about Kayak fishing, and also lose some weight.

the single yak setup would be ok for estuary creeks etc.... personally I would never take a sit in yak offshore simply because you can't get back in if you capsize the tandem wouldn't be suitable for a single paddler as the weight is too far on the back or front (looking at seat placement)

for a lot less money you can get a really good quality single kayak, if your really keen on a sit in the oldtown vapor 10 is a great kayak

if you're set on fishing wider bays and rougher conditions you need a sit on with a bit of length I'd suggest go to a reputable kayak shop and have a chat to them

• Like 1

I loved those promotional videos of modular kayaks . They just show how easy to assemble and dissamble  them within seconds and then put them in the small car. None of them will show how much dirt or sand or water or bait smell/pieces  you will bring  inside of the car too. None of them will show what a decent wave can do with those rubber stripes that holds the parts together.

So back to questions.

1. It is OK for quiet conditions and could be dangerous in the open water particularly when you distracted by fishing.

2.  Big orange snake  chain store  used to sell modular point65 kayaks with the lowest price during their usual kayak clearance.  I think C kayaks and some kayak store in Melbourne still selling them brand new with delivery. Otherwise usual suspects - eBay etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments,

@dirvin21 single kayak is my next step, as my wife, is always concerned about my safety, she tags along all the time when I go fishing.... That's why I said "Tandem". And I have a Corolla hatchback, over the top of my head, I need to equip cross bars to carry a large kayak. I heard it's not safe to drive on motorways, not to mention the length of my car. Ocean kayak would be the final option if I don't need to feed the family..... I will think about sit-on kayaks, this is important to me, safety always comes first.

@savit "Easy to carry" and "Easy to clean" would be wonderful for me. If I go somewhere, say, Blue Mountains or small lakes, central coast, or botany bays, I just drive my car to get there, and put together pieces, then have fun. I will try big snake and C-kayak

I used to drive a Suzuki SX4 and never had a problem at highway speeds carrying my Hobie Adventure/Revo 16. Just need make sure its properly secured and put a red flag on the back end. Only time I really notice it is in strong crosswind in which case drive slower. I would advise avoiding ProRack brand. They flexed constantly under the weight of the yak.

2 hours ago, sharknett said:

I used to drive a Suzuki SX4 and never had a problem at highway speeds carrying my Hobie Adventure/Revo 16. Just need make sure its properly secured and put a red flag on the back end. Only time I really notice it is in strong crosswind in which case drive slower. I would advise avoiding ProRack brand. They flexed constantly under the weight of the yak.

I'm happy to know that Suzuki SX4 can carry Hobie Adventure/Revo 16. I think I would start at a paddle kayak with two seats (I need to convince her she could enjoy it as well........)