Beecroft head, Currarong

Mutch22

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction how to get to Beecroft head, fished the tubes abit but as most of you know it can’t hold a whole lot of people  and it gets way too crowded especially when everyone’s live baiting, I’ll be stick baiting for kings this season and have heard this a lot more room and some brutes of kings roll through there stopping them will be another thing all to gather!  

And any information on swell and wind what’s best fished on the ledge I appreciate any help 

cheers Mitch 

Hi Mitch it's worth having a look at Mermaids as well. Years ago we hired a cabin at the caravan park for 10 days with the intention of fishing the Tubes, but the gunnery range was open all bar 1 day, so no access. We ended up fishing Mermaids instead and got a few Kings and Bonnie's all on live bait, which we caught there early morning. Also caught a few squid and converted some of them to some small reds before sun-up a couple of mornings. Met a couple of characters there, both of whom had caught Marlin at the Tubes but had given up going there due to the crowds.

Last time I went to the Tubes it stank and was covered in rubbish and left fishing tackle. Found a big variety of left tackle while picking up all the rubbish. 

Other guys that we knew caught Luderick and Black Drummer at Mermaids while we were there. 

It's a fair walk from Abraham's car park, but not too much uphill. You need to take a Yakka pool if you go and a decent long gaff. Plenty of room for a few groups. N/E winds got the sea up and ended our rock fishing after a few days, but when the wind dropped we caught plenty of Bream Whiting etc from the beach just north of Hammerhead where the "worm sanctuary" is (there are countless beach worms there, but as far as I know you are no longer allowed to take them north of "Hammerhead" platform on the beach) We also witnessed Tailor chase Garfish right into the shore (onto the beach actually and we grabbed a few)- no rods, we were wandering along the beach with a couple of beers. Good for a "back-up" plan if the swell comes up

This was quite a few years ago, they had only just finished the new bridge at Currarong over the creek. Hope you find this useful, we used to go there in Feb.

Cheers Waza

• Like 1

Hey waza thanks for the information appreciate it a lot! I’m not to worried about the trek I don’t mind it too be honest hahah! I just had a look on google earth so from the car park you cross the bridge over the creek and follow that track is there any signs on the trails telling you what headland or beach your at for tourism I gather maybe?  And to get down the cliff  do you need to climb which isn’t a issue? I take it there will probably be a decent worn trail to follow to which hopefully will lead to a way of getting down the cliff? Cheers waza appreciate the help bud 

Hi Mitch yes cross the creek and it's about a half hour walk, you can't see much at all from the track but there was a small sign saying Mermaids Inlet. No climbing at all bar a couple of boulders just up from the ledge. The trail is really well worn and easy to follow. You definitely need a gaff there also. The right hand side is best for squid, Yakka's on the corner.We also got our reddies there, throwing well out. If you go around to the left where it's a bit lower there are Luderick, Pigs etc.

• Like 1