How far do Kings go?

James  Clain

Think about how they feed-mainly a sight predator-generally(and before some one tells me they saw one at Wisemans ferry) water clarity is key-they are  common in Pittwater, can be caught around Flint and Steel on big high tides, rare in the mainstream of the Hawkesbury and certainly get seen and caught in Cowan Creek. In dry speels the clear water pushes higher upstream so logic says the chances of getting a king upstream increase. However I would stick to the lower reaches of any system to increase your probability of encountering a king

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Think about how they feed-mainly a sight predator-generally(and before some one tells me they saw one at Wisemans ferry) water clarity is key-they are  common in Pittwater, can be caught around Flint and Steel on big high tides, rare in the mainstream of the Hawkesbury and certainly get seen and caught in Cowan Creek. In dry speels the clear water pushes higher upstream so logic says the chances of getting a king upstream increase. However I would stick to the lower reaches of any system to increase your probability of encountering a king

Yea im absolutely going to remain in downstream areas for kings it mostly that i am very interested in catching fish in areas that they don't normally show up but still could potentially be there. eg: GT in Sydney - which has happened and I hope to get one eventually.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, James Clain said:

Yea im absolutely going to remain in downstream areas for kings it mostly that i am very interested in catching fish in areas that they don't normally show up but still could potentially be there. eg: GT in Sydney - which has happened and I hope to get one eventually.

Id love to catch a Barra in Sydney harbour oneday

Once a year the Buddhist’s buy animals and let them go, Fish, Birds and the like. I have the info at home and will post that up when I get home.

These Barramundi would be those but would not be able to survive the Winter. I have personanally see Coral Trout taken outside of Sydney Harbour.

These were good fish and for the size I would guess that they have survived at least one Winter here as I don’t believe they are a naturally occurring species.

Mangrove Jack on the other hand do turn up naturally, plus a few other tropical species.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Once a year the Buddhist’s buy animals and let them go, Fish, Birds and the like. I have the info at home and will post that up when I get home.

These Barramundi would be those but would not be able to survive the Winter. I have personanally see Coral Trout taken outside of Sydney Harbour.

These were good fish and for the size I would guess that they have survived at least one Winter here as I don’t believe they are a naturally occurring species.

Mangrove Jack on the other hand do turn up naturally, plus a few other tropical species.

https://australianmuseum.net.au/blog-archive/science/barramundi-mystery-solved/

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Kinda ironic they set the fish free as an act of kindness, only to condemn it to die.

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

Clarke’s point,Drummoyne , Balmain, iron cove, even caught them west of the Gladesville bridge & the odd Cobia around January & spoken to guys who have caught meteries & also been dusted as far up as abbotsford and Gladesville in summer & autumn when the parramatta river is alive with bait

Edited by 61 crusher

Not wanting to Hijack James Thread, so I put this up.

All I can add to James thread is I caught a King up in Bantry bay fishing for John Dory (When you could catch a few Dory in th Harbour) on a Hand Line, went like the clappers. 😁