Big run landbased in the Georges River

SaltyGreek

I fished the Georges River today landbased with @JamoDamo at jewfish bay. Fished live herring on the bottom. One on a running sinker rig and one on a pea sized sinker straight to a 1/0 hook. While trying to catch some more herring I heard one of my rods screaming. It was bent over heaps and the line was peeling fast. I did not have a bait runner so I had the drag set loose. After applying a small amount of pressure to the spool the fish popped off. My fault for using 8lb which wasn’t smart of me. I was fishing close to a shark net so whatever it was could have broke me off on the net but we will never know. Now I’ll be thinking all day about what could’ve taken that run. I’m thinking either stingray, flathead or little Jewfish but if it could have been anything else please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Hard to tell but one thing for sure, you'll be back there to have another crack. Keep note of the tide you fished and try again with same livies:)

Some sound advice for mastering mulloway.....perfect info to include in s mulloway diary

11 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

If your intentionally seeking Mulloway then as you say maybe using 8lb isn't the best idea??

In saying that if its 8lb main line braid then just up the leader a bit to maybe 12/16lb? 

I had one rod rigged especially for livies. It had a bait runner and 14lb line I think. I was chasing flatties btw. The rod with 8lb on the other hand was meant for fishing prawns and pilchards for bream however I caught a small herring and couldn’t resist putting on. Definitely going to bring some heavier gear next time. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

I had one rod rigged especially for livies. It had a bait runner and 14lb line I think. I was chasing flatties btw. The rod with 8lb on the other hand was meant for fishing prawns and pilchards for bream however I caught a small herring and couldn’t resist putting on. Definitely going to bring some heavier gear next time. 

Always the way it goes right 🙄😂

• Like 1

I had a mate with a baitrunner have a monster jewie run late last night on the turn in the Georges. He strike the fish and blew the hook out of the fishes mouth. would've given itself whiplash.

I prefer to keep drag the same for when fighting the fish as they hook themselves, I have a baitrunner myself and only use it livebaiting. Also try to hold the rod as much as possible. especially if its a smaller rod. 

for the lost fish, jewie or kingie. A live herring seems to be to big for a stingray, unless this one was the size of a car bonnet.

44 minutes ago, Restyle said:

I had a mate with a baitrunner have a monster jewie run late last night on the turn in the Georges. He strike the fish and blew the hook out of the fishes mouth. would've given itself whiplash.

I prefer to keep drag the same for when fighting the fish as they hook themselves, I have a baitrunner myself and only use it livebaiting. Also try to hold the rod as much as possible. especially if its a smaller rod. 

for the lost fish, jewie or kingie. A live herring seems to be to big for a stingray, unless this one was the size of a car bonnet.

I’m hopping it was a Jew or flathead. I’ll be heading out as soon as possible to catch more herring and hopefully hook into some more big fish

47 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

Just took a 10 second run out into the bay and then popped off. Amazing feeling that now has me hooked on live baiting 🤙🏽🎣

I hope next time we go we get into some good fish. Man that run was insane! I looked over at your rod was bent heaps and the drag peeling off. We have to some sabikis for next time need to get more very small hooks for them. We can put them in a keep net or in a bucket but they die quickly in a bucket apparently even if it is aerated. I might go tomorrow probably not but if I do i'll try get some more herring

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

I hope next time we go we get into some good fish. Man that run was insane! I looked over at your rod was bent heaps and the drag peeling off. We have to some sabikis for next time need to get more very small hooks for them. We can put them in a keep net or in a bucket but they die quickly in a bucket apparently even if it is aerated. I might go tomorrow probably not but if I do i'll try get some more herring

We will don’t worry 😉 

Plenty of good fish about in the Georges at the moment. I caught a horse bream (43cm) on Saturday, while a friend landed a rat king!

I suspect you had a solid flathead on the line, but we'll never know! Another toothy possibility is tailor. Choosing the right leader is always a tough choice... I've lost several large flathead on 6-8lb, and the 60cm jew I landed the other week did some real damage to the 8lb flouro I was using. I just purchased some 10lb for this very reason. Other than that, you've just got to strike fast and hope you get the perfect hookup at the corner of the mouth!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, Restyle said:

I had a mate with a baitrunner have a monster jewie run late last night on the turn in the Georges

What's the best change to target jew, low to high, high to low or either one?

3 hours ago, jimbu1 said:

I've lost several large flathead on 6-8lb

I lost a monster flatty on 30lb leader last summer, it thrashed in the net, broke the leader and got out - need a bigger net!

5 hours ago, jimbu1 said:

Plenty of good fish about in the Georges at the moment. I caught a horse bream (43cm) on Saturday, while a friend landed a rat king!

I suspect you had a solid flathead on the line, but we'll never know! Another toothy possibility is tailor. Choosing the right leader is always a tough choice... I've lost several large flathead on 6-8lb, and the 60cm jew I landed the other week did some real damage to the 8lb flouro I was using. I just purchased some 10lb for this very reason. Other than that, you've just got to strike fast and hope you get the perfect hookup at the corner of the mouth!

Definitely will upgrade my leader strength for next time and yes the georges seems to be fishing quite well atm.

1 hour ago, lakelad said:

I lost a monster flatty on 30lb leader last summer, it thrashed in the net, broke the leader and got out - need a bigger net!

I like the Georges on a run out, but caught my jew recently on the run in. A general rule is 1 - 1.5 hrs before high tide, the peak of high/lowtide then 1 - 1.5 hrs after the turn of the tide. I prefer high tide though.

• Like 1

In my experience I dont worry about top or bottom tide.  More dependent on when I have time to fish really.  

Sure I do prefer some of my spots on top or bottom, but having said that, I've caught them throughout all stages, whether top or bottom or mid tide at my various spots.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lakelad said:

I've only caught 3. Two were towards the end of the run-in (at the same spot), the third was a couple of hours into the run-out (at another spot in the same rough area of the system). 

• Like 1