Life Jackets will be compulsory on Central Coast, Lake Macquarie, Pt. Stephens.

Rebel

Hi All,

Life jackets will be compulsory for all Rock Fishing on the Central Coast, Lake Macquarie, Pt. Stephens according to a spokesman from the Central Coast Council. About December 2019.

Edited by Rebel
spelling

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I spoke to Craig Bell from Central Coast Council today. NSW Government has approved life jackets to be compulsory, NOW.

There is a breaking in period. After the 1.07.2020 you will be fined by NSW Water Police. All the above Councils are included plus one on the Sth Coast and one on the Far Nth. Coast. National Parkes will be looked after by the National Wildlife Service.

Certainly Councils have more important things to worry about.

What's next head protection for anyone playing footy, boxes and other protective gear for anyone playing cricket.

The nanny state is out of control!!!!!! 

Edited by Renegade460

17 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

Certainly Councils have more important things to worry about.

What's next head protection for anyone playing footy, boxes and other protective gear for anyone playing cricket.

The nanny state is out of control!!!!!! 

I agree with you that we are a nanny state but as much as I really don't want to fish with a life jacket off the stones I have to now cause stupid people take stupid risks, 90% of the fishing I do is rock fishing I have seen on some very rough days and I say narr not worth it while others will take stupid risks and gamble their life

To those people who want links. This news was hot off the press yesterday. Give the INK time to dry. As I said all along, this is not aimed at the Pro's. It is for the benefit of the idiots. If you fish the rocks like I do there are plenty of them and some.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, P_Konrad said:

When you get a fine they say ignorance is no excuse. Much appreciated, Thank you.

What do you know, I logged off and looked at the news  and this popped up

Man dead and woman injured after being knocked off rocks at Sydney's Bondi Beach

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-15/man-dies-and-woman-injured-by-powerful-waves-at-bondi-beach/11969418

Thank you Fish raider, the best so far I have found.

As far as I can ascertain they weren't fishing so didn't need to be wearing a jacket!

Maybe they should include the rest of the public in their policies!!

I thought rather than just showing a link to a story it would be good to have some maps of actual areas affected.

So far I can only find the one for PS, they should be making it easier for people to find the information imo!

If other raiders find the rest of the locations in map form can they please throw them up :thumbup:

ROCK-FISHING.thumb.png.0e19a4d70a6e5ee75aa90ead5df688e9.png

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Paddy T. Please tell me about the stupidity of the life jacket laws.

I think what @PaddyT was eluding to & @kingie chaser made mention of in his post was they weren’t fishos, technically if you’re fishing you must wear a life jacket & Yet if I was standing right next to you & not fishing or helping you I wouldn’t need to wear a jacket & I might be bare feet or even worse wearing thongs

• Like 1

The guy that drowned on the weekend was a visitor from another country, Russia. Does Russia have beaches ? He was unlucky. A lot of people come to this country, and the first thing they want to do is go to a beach. Most them can't swim. Believe me in my lifesaver days you could'nt image how many people we saved from drowning. The amount of people that have drowned fishing on the rocks on the Central Coast is unbelieveable. Firstly they couldn't swim. Secondly they didn't have life jackets. I don't care how good a swimmer you are, when you are fishing the rocks you need a lifejacket. The same as you need a seat belt in a car.

Cheers.

Is it me, or do the maps essentially highlight ANY shore location with adjacent rocks as a high risk fishing location? (as opposed to genuine high risk/low risk rock fishing locations)

(I can comment on the sutherland shire/bate bay map, there are certainly areas on that map which would not be high risk, eg: northen end of jibbon beach and the rocks adjacent to bundeena warf, which would only be remotely dangerous in severe weather with a specific swell direction, and even then, the rocks at the northern end of jibbon beach would be safe!).

BTW: I am a supporter of life jackets when rock fishing (i wear my lifejacket and suitable gear when im out there).

Edited by SquidMarks
  • Like 1

Hi Squidmarks,

Let me answer your question. The Councils get together with the Water Police, Senior life savers and anybody else who wants to have a say. Thats how we get told what is dangerous.

Cheers.

17 hours ago, SquidMarks said:

Is it me, or do the maps essentially highlight ANY shore location with adjacent rocks as a high risk fishing location? (as opposed to genuine high risk/low risk rock fishing locations)

(I can comment on the sutherland shire/bate bay map, there are certainly areas on that map which would not be high risk, eg: northen end of jibbon beach and the rocks adjacent to bundeena warf, which would only be remotely dangerous in severe weather with a specific swell direction, and even then, the rocks at the northern end of jibbon beach would be safe!).

BTW: I am a supporter of life jackets when rock fishing (i wear my lifejacket and suitable gear when im out there).

25 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi Squidmarks,

Let me answer your question. The Councils get together with the Water Police, Senior life savers and anybody else who wants to have a say. Thats how we get told what is dangerous.

Cheers.

@SquidMarks & Rebel.

Its some council HR dip whit looking at a satellite image on a screen & drawing a line with an E pencil not having ever been to the locations!!

Its no different to the twits who close public access gates on crown land & say you cant perform a back burn or cut trees to protect your property.

That it what your hard earned bureaucracy gets you.

What should happen is- there should be a line drawn in every rock face in the so called restriction areas saying 'no thoroughfare beyond this point without a life vest'

Fisherperson or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

But don't upset the whole general public, just the fisho's 🙄

Edited by kingie chaser

Hi King chaser,

You are wrong, I have been with these people I have mentioned. NO dopes are allowed. Only experienced people are allowed. Rock Fishing is serious stuff. And as I said before this will be Policed by the Water Police, except for National Parks which will be looked after by the National Wild life Officers.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Hi King chaser,

You are wrong, I have been with these people I have mentioned. NO dopes are allowed. Only experienced people are allowed. Rock Fishing is serious stuff. And as I said before this will be Policed by the Water Police, except for National Parks which will be looked after by the National Wild life Officers.

Cheers.

Rebel, If your going to call me out in being wrong then maybe you should tell us about your background plus personel involvement & submit the environmental studies that the info is based on.

Also are  you suggesting there are no dip whits in council & local government 🙄

It goes deeper than that to a federal level 😉

I am not saying rock fishing is not dangerous, yet if you are going to target one individual in the same area then same rules should apply to all.

Like I said no municipality has the balls to do that!!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi Squidmarks,

Cheers.

Fair enough, stakeholders come together and make suggestions. Im more asking on how is the consensus reached for said locations?

In particular, what data is taken into account when determining if a spot is dangerour or not?

Please tell me there is more to it than a room full of stakeholders hovering over a large map and circling areas left right and centre saying "rocks here, probably a dangerous spot, risk of slipping... lets just circle it anyways just in case"