Rock fishing burley

Will Wright

a scale bag on the end of a rope with cut up pilchards. all you need to do is give the bag a mash every now and then or add some more pilchards in. You will only need 5 and then just add some ontop

you can also make a ice block of mashed bread and pilchards and put them in there. ice will melt and the bread and pilchards remain. the size of the hole in the scale nets is pretty small so only a little bit will leech out as the waves stir it around. 

This also works from boats & kayaks. i have had a kingie come up and chomp at the net.

https://www.a shop.com.au/p/neptune-scaler-bag/127061.html#q=net&sz=12&start=51 This is the net i use below. I use the smaller black net which comes with it. Can be a pain to clean. Also might want to upgrade the rope that comes with the smaller net as it dose wear away when bashed against the rocks over time.\

I use the larger green net on the beach and put a entire mashed up mullet or a yakka in it and leave it in the wash. 

Correct me if im wrong as i rarely use metal slugs but would'nt it be better to float out a pilchard or whatever your using for burley under a float in the burley trail?

• Like 1

As Restyle says- we used to just concentrate on getting the Yakka's into a frenzy, their excitement naturally did the same for the Kings. Bread with some mashed pillies and/or a bit of Tuna oil in a PVC tube or a whole Bonnie or 'meaty' frame just on a rope over the edge.

You can make a simple burley dispenser out of 100mm PVC pipe. Glue a cap on 1 of the ends and drill a few holes in the tube to let burley out. Go to the trouble of making a decent one with either a screw cap or 'lockable cap' on the other end and they last for ages. Can be used off the beach also. If you want it to stay on the surface, use a wheelbarrow (or similar) tyre tube around the outside

• Like 1

Back when I used to spin from the rocks we'd catch a bonito, mac tuna or a couple of frigates, put a couple of knife cuts in their sides, tie a rope to their tail and hang them over the edge of the ledge at water level. The action of the waves grates them over the rocks providing a nice burley trail.

Don't forget to try an unweighted pilly or cube in close under the burley. I caught plenty of good snapper doing that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

You can make a simple burley dispenser out of 100mm PVC pipe. Glue a cap on 1 of the ends and drill a few holes in the tube to let burley out. Go to the trouble of making a decent one with either a screw cap or 'lockable cap' on the other end and they last for ages. 

Made these 2 in pretty quick time.

After the 1st try I need to enlarge the holes a little more.

I used some dry cat food, bread & tuna oil.

1462450970_Burleypots.thumb.jpg.b4c8a98cad71f849df9f22cbf5fca3be.jpg

• Like 3

Regardless of whether you use a burley dispenser of some kind or fish frames tied to rope, it's not a bad idea to use a small piece of hose to protect the rope where it goes over the rock edge as I have seen the rope chafe If waves are boisterous.  Ron

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

That’s the goods! Yes, they’re easy to make up. I made about 3 and used them from the boat but kept forgetting I had them out when I took off... hence I had to make more! 😂

On 11/4/2019 at 8:05 AM, kingie chaser said:

You could also use layer pellets & add a bit of water to expand & break up, another idea for those pots is to cut a length of Pipe that fits between the socket & cap & cut 1/3 off length ways & slip over then drill holes through both pipes then twist pipe till all holes are covered, mince all the burley up & pack in & then put in the freezer. When you go to use the pot you can control the release rate with the outer pipe 

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

You could also use layer pellets & add a bit of water to expand & break up, another idea for those pots is to cut a length of Pipe that fits between the socket & cap & cut 1/3 off length ways & slip over then drill holes through both pipes then twist pipe till all holes are covered, mince all the burley up & pack in & then put in the freezer. When you go to use the pot you can control the release rate with the outer pipe 

That’s a good idea! Might give that a try