Shortening butt on existing baitcaster rod

Little_Flatty

Hi all,

A question for the experienced rodbuilders/modders out there.

I have a couple of old baitcaster rods which have a longer butt than I would like for casting single-handed. They are all very light rods - 2-4kg which I use for casting small plastics and lures.

I was wondering if anyone has ever shortened the butt of their rods and what process they followed. I was thinking of cutting about 100mm from the butt of the rod, and then installing a butt cap, making for a more comfortable single-handed cast. With these outfits, my hand doesn't change position for casting or fighting fish.

I was also curious to see if there might be any problems with the 'balance' of the outfit, or if this concept only applied to threadlines. I've always been congniscent of balance for all of my spinning outfits, but funnily enough I've never thought about balance for my baitcasters. So long as I didn't put an ABU7000 on a 2-4kg rod, I'll get away with it.

I've built a rod before, but never modified one like this. Can anyone offer advice?

Mike

generally when shortening rods ( for whatever reason ) you would take a similar amount off butt as you do tip but in your case I don't think this would be needed, 100mm seems a bit excessive to me for what you want to achieve, try taking 25mm off and go try it out and another 25mm if it is still not what you want, keep going till you get the optimum length you are looking for. Use a dremmel ( if you have one ) don't try using hack saw as this will rip through the corbon/glass instead of cutting through and you might end up with splinters.

A photo or 2 before and after shots would be good.

PS cutting 100mm off the butt would probably mean you would no longer be able to place the rod into most  rod holders with confidence.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice Frank, I knew someone would know.

I don’t have a dremel but have a couple of mates who have one. I wouldn’t mind getting one myself as well :)

I didn’t think about the rod holder issue, but I’m mostly shorebased and like to be  mobile so it’s not a huge problem. I’ll need to budget for a new rod when I finally act on my dream of getting a yak :)

I do have a broken rod I might be able to practice on first, will see how I go. Will post pics when I get to it.

Mike

Mike. IF you are anywhere near Berala bring the rods to my place and I will supply the dremmel and guide you through the process so you don't damage the rods, might even have some suitable end caps here OR make some.

Frank

• Like 3