Towing Boat from Qld to Nsw help please!

bluemarlin

Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice have been boat hunting for a while and have settled on a boat in Qld. I'm in NSW and the plan is to tow the boat back.

Is towing a Qld registered boat and trailer with a Nsw vehicle from Qld to Nsw legal? As long as I complete the transfer, blue slip etc in time?

Cheers

Edited by bluemarlin

I believe technically its like any other vehicle & NSW RMS gives you 3 months to transfer the rego over, after that you could incur a fine as whatever you own vehicle wise needs to match the address on your licence, its for CTP insurance purposes!!

As long as you have proof of purchase & or signed registration transfer papers then it wont be an issue up to the 3 months.

Contact the RMS for the actual right information would be my call!!

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/transfer-or-register-interstate-vehicle

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/index.html#Interstatevehicles

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

Just to add, the fact you don't really know the outfit 100% make sure you have a few basic tools with you. Keep a careful eye on the wheel bearings ( I recently had to change a set on my QLD trip ). That includes a jack that will suit the trailer and possibly a block of wood to give the jack extra height depending on the trailer. I hit a dead animal which pulled the trailer axel out of line and also applied the trailer breaks mainly to one side. The heat from the breaks liquified the bearing grease ending with dry cooked bearings, luckily I carry spare.

Extra straps and ropes, just incase.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I picked up my new second hand Prado late on a Wednesday night. Next day drove to QLD to purchase my boat. Got back to Ballinna that day.

Went to local rego place in qld  to get needed  papers  to tow it back. Had wife insure it as well. Drove back next day with new boat and car. Neighbours could not comprehend how this had happened in a day and half....house looked like the castle for a bit!!!

Did trailer and boat stuff back here at place near Drummoyne boat ramp.

good luck with it.

cheers

Edited by rippinlips
  • Haha 2

One of our neighbors stopped talking to us after we did similar back in 1996.

Then she called the council to report that the boat parked in our driveway was blocking her street view. 🤣

Best of luck with it mate!

Cheers Zoran 

• Haha 1

Mate, I have bought two boats from Qld and towed them back into NSW . I had to hand the plates in before I left QLD which then deregistered the trailer so I had to get a permit to tow it back which only lasts a couple of days and you cannot diviate from your trip otherwise you need to get another permit at around $40 a pop.

When you get it back here you then have to get a blue slip for the both boat and trailer before you can register in NSW absolutely ridiculous it is like we live in a different countries as nothing is recognised from one state to another.

I had a road worthy certificate on one of the trailers I bought that was done by the previous owner in QLD which was done the week before I bought it and RMS NSW would not recognise that hence the blue slip which are not cheap.

You also need to register the boat in NSW where you have to take it to licenced inspection person to check all its number  etc cost around another $200 plus.

Absolute bullshit this country !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Unregistered vehicle/trailor permit, good fun, 

best part is going to the rms in every state, try going from qld to vic and a having to get new permit in every state while being pulled over by cops :1clap:

Seriously though. make sure you have all the appropriate paperwork and written letter with regos and vins signed by the seller, have brought many cars and bikes down from qld before and other states.

25 minutes ago, the skipper said:

Mate, I have bought two boats from Qld and towed them back into NSW . I had to hand the plates in before I left QLD which then deregistered the trailer so I had to get a permit to tow it back which only lasts a couple of days and you cannot diviate from your trip otherwise you need to get another permit at around $40 a pop.

When you get it back here you then have to get a blue slip for the both boat and trailer before you can register in NSW absolutely ridiculous it is like we live in a different countries as nothing is recognised from one state to another.

I had a road worthy certificate on one of the trailers I bought that was done by the previous owner in QLD which was done the week before I bought it and RMS NSW would not recognise that hence the blue slip which are not cheap.

You also need to register the boat in NSW where you have to take it to licenced inspection person to check all its number  etc cost around another $200 plus.

Absolute bullshit this country !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I think all the extra inspections are to stop stolen vehicles being taken to other states.