Cane/bamboo Sabiki rod success

SaltyGreek

Hi all 

Tested a bamboo/cane rod that I made today. I Made it specifically for fishing a Sabiki rig. It is a very simple setup that was inspired from a few Asian fisherman. Just around 70-90cm of 8lb line tied to the the tip of a 7’6 bamboo/cane (not exactly sure which one it is) rod with a snap swivel and a Sabiki rig. Ended up catching 3 little silver biddy which were all released and 5 or 6 herring. Kept 2 herring for Jew bait in the future. Very effective and simple set up for jigging up baitfish from a wharf or pontoon. 

• Like 1

We called them “Ned Kellie’s”.  Line length about 300mm shorter than the rod.  Tiny cork for a float . Poke them in under the willow trees with a black cricket or cicada on the end and hang on with both hands.  Not very sporting but dynamite on bass!  Of course you wouldn’t use them today🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bookwa said:

We called them “Ned Kellie’s”.  Line length about 300mm shorter than the rod.  Tiny cork for a float . Poke them in under the willow trees with a black cricket or cicada on the end and hang on with both hands.  Not very sporting but dynamite on bass!  Of course you wouldn’t use them today🙄

Enjoyed it much in the past. Those few seconds of fighting the fish on a pole were quite  packed with adrenaline and were worth it. It is quite different (I would say -opposite)  to  the  light line/drag 'waiting game' reel fishing.

54 minutes ago, campr said:

I use an updated version of this rig for catching poddies using a telescopic carbon fiber rod that only cast about $6 bought online.    Ron

May need to invest in one of these for when I’m traveling around on my bike. It’ll be easier to carry around than a 7’6 long cane rod.

Check out Tenkara rods - same concept with some interesting uses. There are very cheap ones as above, but you can find really schmancy expensive ones too. Different types made for fishing light streams or big fish. I am tempted to try out a light one as I am a miserable fly fisher. Looks like a nice light kit.

They range from 9 - 30 feet even. Crazy stuff.