Unnaturally Occuring Fish. Sydney

Blackfish

25kg çuda-bl!@#y hell Rick-you could probably smell that from Sydney!! Lake Mac has some weirdies at time-interestingly whilst we consider dollies to be strictly an offshore fish there seem to be a few places in other parts of the world were they can be targetted from shore- search youtube and there are quite a few videos from the Meditarranean and what i think is Okinawa. 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, Scratchie said:

Plenty of big Mack tuna are still roaming around PS but mainly Feb-April. They are a nuisance when your chasing longtail. 

I used to chase the macks inside Pt Stephens.  Mostly around 16lb on 6lb mono using little home made slices and those wonderfull old 2700 blue series shakespear reels.  Also hooked a couple of longtails without success. 

My theory is there used to be countless thousands of grey blue jellyfish about 6 inches round each one accompanied by a group of bait about 2 inches long which the tuna fed on.  When the jellies failed to turn up, so did the big schools of tuna.  Ron 

• Like 3

I recon Rick may be one of the only ones to catch a Dolly off the Rocks, certainly unusual and a great capture, plus the ones in Lake Mac. You'd be thinking "What the"

@Yowie was the Trag any size.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackfish said:

I recon Rick may be one of the only ones to catch a Dolly off the Rocks, certainly unusual and a great capture, plus the ones in Lake Mac. You'd be thinking "What the"

@Yowie was the Trag any size.

A long time ago now.

Not a big one, somewhere between 45 and 50 cm from memory.

• Like 1