UNSUNG HEROES AMONG US - fires NSW and QLD

mrsswordfisherman

A very big thanks to any of our fishraiders who have been out fighting fires over the last few weeks.

The pictures and videos shown on TV and social media depict the ferocity and relentlessness of the fires. Absolutely frightening vision. 

I have been listening to the Emergency channels Mid North Coast and am blown away by the comms management. Professional and so well managed. 

We have family members in Old Bar, Taree, Tuncurry and Forster. The work of the firies saved swordies sister’s house today at Old Bar/Wallabi Point. 

Thanks and take a well earned rest fellas and gals.

799D3C3D-067C-4816-B034-3613DAD062AA.jpeg

• Like 13

19 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

A very big thanks to any of our fishraiders who have been out fighting fires over the last few weeks.

The pictures and videos shown on TV and social media depict the ferocity and relentlessness of the fires. Absolutely frightening vision. 

I have been listening to the Emergency channels Mid North Coast and am blown away by the comms management. Professional and so well managed. 

We have family members in Old Bar, Taree, Tuncurry and Forster. The work of the firies saved swordies sister’s house today at Old Bar/Wallabi Point. 

Thanks and take a well earned rest fellas and gals.

799D3C3D-067C-4816-B034-3613DAD062AA.jpeg

They're hero's that's for sure. Still grim too. My mate in Qld just told me his daughter and kids were just evacuated as a massive fire front was approaching their home. The footage from some of these fires are terrifying. Hope no more lives get lost and anyone here near or in them is safe.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The devastation is unbelievable, I've got friends and workmates that have lost their homes, the fireys here have been working tirelessly and are doing an incredible job this whole section of the coast woukd be ash without their efforts

Hope all my fellow raiders are doing ok, I've been lucky thus far but got grave concerns for Tuesday

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

The devastation is unbelievable, I've got friends and workmates that have lost their homes, the fireys here have been working tirelessly and are doing an incredible job this whole section of the coast woukd be ash without their efforts

Hope all my fellow raiders are doing ok, I've been lucky thus far but got grave concerns for Tuesday

Hope that you and everyone else in your region come through this with a minimum of problems Dave. The devastation thus far has been horrific. Unfortunately fires are a regular event. I do hope that something positive is learned from this situation to help minimize impact in future events. These (mainly volunteers) are true heroes and we all owe them a massive debt. bn

• Like 3

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hope that you and everyone else in your region come through this with a minimum of problems Dave. The devastation thus far has been horrific. Unfortunately fires are a regular event. I do hope that something positive is learned from this situation to help minimize impact in future events. These (mainly volunteers) are true heroes and we all owe them a massive debt. bn

I've now evacuated, the fire took an unexpected turn and is only a few km's from home so made the decision to get out early

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

I've now evacuated, the fire took an unexpected turn and is only a few km's from home so made the decision to get out early

Gee mate, hope your family & friends all escape unharmed. 

• Like 1

Only experienced a bushfire once being trapped at Jervis Bay Huskisson for 5 days as a visitor. Can’t imagine what it would be like to pick up and walk away from everything. 

Our thoughts are with you guys - wish you the best. 

Cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Thoughts with you and everyone displaced by these horrific circumstances Dave.Keep safe. bn

• Like 2

Hope everyone managed to get through last night.

My people in Old Bar are OK but it is veryyyyy smoky and unpleasant. 

My Mum was a proud Australian and wrote many poems about our land. Here is one that is very relevant to the current events. 

MATESHIP’S WAY

Back as far as history tells, mateship’s been our way

Through fire and flood and cyclone, brave Australians saved the day

Wherever, in this great south land, disaster raised its head

An army of the people came where ‘ere the crisis led

They came a hundred years ago from factory, mine and shop

As men and women come today - to fight until they drop!

They walked, and came on horseback, they came with ox and dray

And mateship was the reason - no thought of thanks, or pay

Today our gallant volunteers can stand with heads held high

Beside those ghosts of yesteryear who came to do - or die

But times have changed - we shake our heads as we hear the news each day

How misery and hate abound, and violence holds sway

And then - God lifts his mighty hand and shakes us to the core

He makes us prove ourselves again, and our best comes to the fore

As those heroes fight the bushfire’s blaze - that furnace straight from hell

Australians know within their heart, mateship’s live and well!

Author: Fay Barton

• Like 1