Port Stephens Fishing spots HELP!

Admis

Hey everyone I'm new to this site but have read most of the threads on Port Stephens I've lived around here my entire life but only really starting to get serious about fishing and I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a direct spot that will boost my chances of catching a big fish I have no idea what fish are around this time of year if someone could let me know what I could catch as well and best bait to use I would like to go off the rocks just need a direct spot thanks guys seriously appreciate any advice to get that big fish.

Welcome to the forum @Admis.

It always help you to do a forum search first to see if there is any existing content on your subject.

You might get something from this particular one.

There may be others relating just to land based so it up to you to do some research.

You could also PM scratchie.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Welcome to the forum @Admis.

It always help you to do a forum search first to see if there is any existing content on your subject.

You might get something from this particular one.

There may be others relating just to land based so it up to you to do some research.

You could also PM scratchie.

Good luck.

Hey yeah I should have mentioned that I read nearly every thread on port stephens including scatchies one but none of them really show what I'm looking for more just mentioning spots around the bay instead of a direct spot that I should go that will give me the best chances I've already tried round boat harbour and fingal beach had some fun at boat harbour getting me 2 pan sized snapper but I'm looking for something bigger so I'm really just asking for a place that someone knows big fish are laying around I was going to try tomaree heads but I'm not sure how the fishing is so I just want to come on here and ask around I havent got every day to fish thats why I'm more just asking for the best spot instead of going and trying all the spots listed as I don't have every day to just run around but thanks for the response I appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, Admis said:

Hey yeah I should have mentioned that I read nearly every thread on port stephens including scatchies one but none of them really show what I'm looking for more just mentioning spots around the bay instead of a direct spot that I should go that will give me the best chances I've already tried round boat harbour and fingal beach had some fun at boat harbour getting me 2 pan sized snapper but I'm looking for something bigger so I'm really just asking for a place that someone knows big fish are laying around I was going to try tomaree heads but I'm not sure how the fishing is so I just want to come on here and ask around I havent got every day to fish thats why I'm more just asking for the best spot instead of going and trying all the spots listed as I don't have every day to just run around but thanks for the response I appreciate it.

I don't think it's all that reasonable to ask for an EXACT spot. Often  these spots have been found only after hours and observation and fishing and understandably people are often unwilling to give them up. I also recommend PM Scratchie, he is the Port Stephens Guru

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 1

Just now, nutsaboutfishing said:

I don't think it's all that reasonable to ask for an EXACT spot. Often  these spots have been found only after hours and observation and fishing and understandably people are often unwilling to give them up

Yeah thats fair I respect that but I am just asking around not trying to take someones secret spot or anything

Admis, 

Firstly welcome to Fishraider. 

Secondly as a new member it is generally best to work your way into the forum rather than ask for specific spots! 

Ive spent nearly 20 years and countless, fruitless hours fishing this area. Casting, wading, climbing, waiting and trying to learn the area. 

And you want to come on here as our newest member and ask me to give you exact locations so you don’t waste your time??? 

If you’ve read all my posts the keys are there! 

Go find them yourself!!! 

Scratchie mod team! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Admis- what do you mean by “big fish”? Are you wanting game fish, like tuna, cobia, like Rick says, or something else? Are you experienced in rock fishing and rock safety? Do you have the appropriate gear? You really need to put in the time. Tomaree Headland historically does OK for gamefish at the right time of year. I’ve usually managed a feed of bream and rock blackfish near Barry Park in Fingal Bay in the cooler months. Suggest you duck into the tackle shop in Magnus St and talk to the guys there. They’ll give you some leads.

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

@Admis- what do you mean by “big fish”? Are you wanting game fish, like tuna, cobia, like Rick says, or something else? Are you experienced in rock fishing and rock safety? Do you have the appropriate gear? You really need to put in the time. Tomaree Headland historically does OK for gamefish at the right time of year. I’ve usually managed a feed of bream and rock blackfish near Barry Park in Fingal Bay in the cooler months. Suggest you duck into the tackle shop in Magnus St and talk to the guys there. They’ll give you some leads.

Hey yeah I love rock fishing and yeah I'm not stupid on the rocks I always am careful and yeah I would love any of those fish a tuna would be crazy thats a dream for me and yeah I'm fine with putting in the time would you recommend tomaree this time of year for tuna? or is it not tuna season yet?

5 minutes ago, Admis said:

Hey yeah I love rock fishing and yeah I'm not stupid on the rocks I always am careful and yeah I would love any of those fish a tuna would be crazy thats a dream for me and yeah I'm fine with putting in the time would you recommend tomaree this time of year for tuna? or is it not tuna season yet?

A bit early. Wait till the water warms up but you never know. February/March would be prime time but with global warming, who knows? Keep your ear to the ground, talk to the local tackle shop dealers. The one I mentioned puts out a video report every Friday on their Facebook and Instagram page, so follow them. 

Edited by Berleyguts

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

A bit early. Wait till the water warms up but you never know. February/March would be prime time but with global warming, who knows? Keep your ear to the ground, talk to the local tackle shop dealers. The one I mentioned puts out a video report every Friday on their Facebook and Instagram page, so follow them. 

Hey yeah I normally go to duffs fishing and tackle but never have luck with them good bloke though ill give that tackle shop you mentioned a go thanks

14 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Admis, 

Firstly welcome to Fishraider. 

Secondly as a new member it is generally best to work your way into the forum rather than ask for specific spots! 

Ive spent nearly 20 years and countless, fruitless hours fishing this area. Casting, wading, climbing, waiting and trying to learn the area. 

And you want to come on here as our newest member and ask me to give you exact locations so you don’t waste your time??? 

If you’ve read all my posts the keys are there! 

Go find them yourself!!! 

Scratchie mod team! 

Hey sorry mate didn't think it would come off that way I'm really sorry I have much respect for you fishing for 20 years around port stephens never wanted it to come off like that my bad.

• Like 1

@Admis welcome to the forum

It is usual etiquette to ease your way into a forum before asking direct questions of the members. It is quite different to Facebook where people join pages and post questions.

First thing to do is use our search engine to research.

Add an introduction to yourself at this thread  below so we can get to know you. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact my mods or myself.

Cheers and look forward to your contributions/fishing reports. We are a great bunch here :)

Donna (Community Manager)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Admis said:

Hey yeah I normally go to duffs fishing and tackle but never have luck with them good bloke though ill give that tackle shop you mentioned a go thanks

If you want to catch gamefish off the rocks, read and learn all you can about land based gamefishing, get the right gear, put in the time, catch the live bait and keep at it!

Hi Admis,

The real satisfaction and joy of fishing comes from the hard work you put in over time to understand which spots and species to try according to whatever combination of the following factors you are presented with when you want to go for a fish:  aspect of your different locations, tides, winds, swell, time of year and day, moon phases etc.

Working away at these things is a real challenge and, when you achieve success consistently, it's incredibly satisfying.

Get out there and have a dig, watch what other people are doing, be always thinking, be friendly and respectful (especially: don't be a space invader) and experienced fishers will, after a while, give you some tips to help you on your way.

Have fun: it's the journey not the destination.

KB

• Like 5

Hi Admis,

The best thing you can do is use that search function and check out the fishing reports section after introducing yourself as Donna said.

Searching and reading through reports and anything to do with the area is your best bet, unfortunately with fishing it will never be a case of "this spot will land me a Tuna at X time and X day", it never works like that.

And even if it was a specific spot that someone has always bagged up at it can be a secret from that person, (everyone has there own spot X)

You need to go explore and don't even take a rod with you. Scratchie has put in what seems like 100+ years of researching Port Stephens and seems to be the guru of Port and has years of experience and info, but honestly due to you being Landbased i would physically walk around and explore, look at the water, the tide, swell etc. have a look at how many fisherman/fisherwoman are there and what they are catching, what are the using??

I did this myself for almost 3 months before i started to even take my rod to the landbased Locations around Lake Mac.

Your own research will pay off, you never know you might find a spot that no-one has ever fished from before. Use topographic maps and satellite images via google maps to check that you can safely get to a spot and remember to always wear a lifejacket near any rocks.

Good Luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2019 at 12:28 AM, Admis said:

Hey everyone I'm new to this site but have read most of the threads on Port Stephens I've lived around here my entire life but only really starting to get serious about fishing and I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a direct spot that will boost my chances of catching a big fish I have no idea what fish are around this time of year if someone could let me know what I could catch as well and best bait to use I would like to go off the rocks just need a direct spot thanks guys seriously appreciate any advice to get that big fish.

Admis

If you're up for a drive and want to target some tailor/salmon/bonito land based head up to dark point off mungo brush rd. Not sure where you are based in port stephens. A bit of a walk across the sand dunes, which are pretty awesome too, and fish the northern corner off the beach and rocks. I usually use metals and pilchards on gang hooks for the larger fish. Caught about a dozen or so 1kg+ tailor there about a month ago, and theres usually salmon and bonito about. You should be able to see the schools of fish and birds working so you may have to chase them. Get there at sunrise for your best chance. There is 4wd access but we just park at the carpark on mungo brush rd and walk in. Good luck 

Screenshot_20191114-094733_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191114-094800_Maps.jpg

18 hours ago, Admis said:

I havent got every day to fish thats why I'm more just asking for the best spot instead of going and trying all the spots listed as I don't have every day to just run around

As scratchie & others have subtley eluded to asking for exact spots is like asking for the key to the chastity belt of your 1st born adult daughter :nono: 😂

People have had to put in many an hour of hard yakka to get these spots hence why they are very protective of them.

As for time, well we are all time poor but we all have to make time to fish, doing the hard yards is what it's all about, that's part of the satisfaction you get when you have done the work, done the research, looked at an area for a target species habitat, go it the tides right, got the tackle set up right etc.

I think there is enough in these pages & the net to start you on your way.

I have almost walked to Tomaree point casting SP's & hard bodies along the way & back for nothing, nice couple of hours of investigation though, I have caught a nice 50cm flathead in front of that facility near Marrungbanga reserve.

Just do the background work & get out there & try your luck.

One thing I think the bay really needs is a good fishing guide, both land & boat based.

I see plenty of charters of which yeh they also tend not to want to take people to their most favoured spots either!

Could be a good different career opening or wage suppliment there for someone........:whistling:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

@kingie chaserasking for exact spots is like asking for the key to the chastity belt of your 1st born adult daughte:nono: 😂”. Ha ha ha! 😂

@Admis Nelson Breakwall is a chance for kingfish. Float live squid, live slimies or live yakkas... low light on the tide changes best. My son spotted what he thought were kings chasing bait in Shoal Bay yesterday, so they are around.

• Like 1