Port Stephens Fishing spots HELP!

Admis

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

@kingie chaserasking for exact spots is like asking for the key to the chastity belt of your 1st born adult daughte:nono: 😂”. Ha ha ha! 😂

@Admis Nelson Breakwall is a chance for kingfish. Float live squid, live slimies or live yakkas... low light on the tide changes best. My son spotted what he thought were kings chasing bait in Shoal Bay yesterday, so they are around.

Lol, not sure how old or worldly the OP is, he may have to google that one 😳 😅

I think we can all attest to the fact that one day a spot might be going off & 10 minutes later its all over for some reason.

I have never seen a Kingfish caught on the outside of the breakwall, not saying it doesn't happen but I have never been at that place at the right time & that's what fishing is all about, being in the right place at the right time & that cant happen unless your there so that's time on the water you need to put in!!

That's fishing!

I do recall a thread or 2 a long while ago about fishing land based at Fingal producing.

Again research the area, took at techniques like either using floats, bottom rigs or lures.

10 hours ago, wcurrall said:

Admis

If you're up for a drive and want to target some tailor/salmon/bonito land based head up to dark point off mungo brush rd. Not sure where you are based in port stephens. A bit of a walk across the sand dunes, which are pretty awesome too, and fish the northern corner off the beach and rocks. I usually use metals and pilchards on gang hooks for the larger fish. Caught about a dozen or so 1kg+ tailor there about a month ago, and theres usually salmon and bonito about. You should be able to see the schools of fish and birds working so you may have to chase them. Get there at sunrise for your best chance. There is 4wd access but we just park at the carpark on mungo brush rd and walk in. Good luck 

Screenshot_20191114-094733_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191114-094800_Maps.jpg

Hey thanks for that it helped a lot looks like a really good spot i'll have to give it a try one time I know broughton is a solid place to fish and it looks really close to it so its on the bucket list but yeah its a bit of a drive by the looks of it so maybe when I have time off

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

@kingie chaserasking for exact spots is like asking for the key to the chastity belt of your 1st born adult daughte:nono: 😂”. Ha ha ha! 😂

@Admis Nelson Breakwall is a chance for kingfish. Float live squid, live slimies or live yakkas... low light on the tide changes best. My son spotted what he thought were kings chasing bait in Shoal Bay yesterday, so they are around.

Hey thanks I haven't been to the breakwall in a while always thought it was just over fished with how many people go to it and its on nearly every fishing site for port stephens but I might give it a go some times.

1 hour ago, Admis said:

Hey thanks I haven't been to the breakwall in a while always thought it was just over fished with how many people go to it and its on nearly every fishing site for port stephens but I might give it a go some times.

Hardly anyone on it today. I was talking to some Fisheries guys there today. They were putting “no sp...rfishing” signs around and they were showing me where it was allowed and where not. I pointed out an area where I had seen “underwater hunters” and they said it was OK there and they’d be chasing the kings. Not that far from the wall. So... they are there.

But, then again, I wouldn’t fish it on a weekend or during holidays. 😉

6 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Hardly anyone on it today. I was talking to some Fisheries guys there today. They were putting “no sp...rfishing” signs around and they were showing me where it was allowed and where not. I pointed out an area where I had seen “underwater hunters” and they said it was OK there and they’d be chasing the kings. Not that far from the wall. So... they are there.

But, then again, I wouldn’t fish it on a weekend or during holidays. 😉

yeah weekends only real time for me to fish so might have to give that a pass but would love to catch a king one day 

Hi Admis,

As someone who has dramatically improved their fishing from this site, here’s a few tips on sleuthing potential spots and techniques from forum posts.

Firstly, the reports are a good source of information as to what is biting and what they are biting on. For instance in my last report, I was clued in by fellow members that prawns were running at the entrance and there were flathead about. I put two and two together and fished with prawn lures for flathead and got a few. This was in spite of the fact I had very little local knowledge of the area.

Second, google maps is your friend. Some people post up photos with the background included (they won’t if they are very protective of their hard earned spots which is their prerogative). Observe what is behind them (flats, rocks, wharves, boats, etc) and if you have a little local knowledge, you could pinpoint the exact spot, or at least find similar (the latter is even better because you may well find your own spot x with less travel). I have spent hours on google maps looking for flats, my favourite fishing environment.

Next, think about the time. For me, I fish an hour either side of tide changes (for what I do, I prefer the highs) as a rule of thumb. It varies though for where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. When I was preparing for my entrance holiday I dug up an article by Jamie Robley that said tides don’t matter so much when the Tuggerah lakes were closed, and that time of day mattered more. So out I went at the crack of dawn and in the early evening.

The best thing about doing your research ahead of time (apart from finding fish) is that you can indulge in your hobby even if you are far away from the water :).

Finally, just get out there and post a report afterwards. Talk about where you went and when, and what you did. If it was a donut, still post it - members might help you troubleshoot why. This is probably the best way of soliciting information.  Sometimes it’s not you - there have been some weekends when everyone donuts. Even if you donut, at least you got out there and you can be sure that you probably still had fun :)

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Admis said:

yeah weekends only real time for me to fish so might have to give that a pass but would love to catch a king one day 

I used to live in Sydney & fished where every man & his dog would go and occasionally get a good keeper or 2 & new these place could produce, so to make sure I was in with a good chance I’d get good bait the day before or late at night & be there before sun up or go on drizzling or rainy days & coincide with favourable tides & sure enough after a bit of perseverance & trial & error the quality fish started showing up & Occasionally other fishos in the know & virtually no weekend warriors.

As others have eluded to, the journey can be very satisfying & rewarding & you get to learn about your target & other species along the way 

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi Admis,

As someone who has dramatically improved their fishing from this site, here’s a few tips on sleuthing potential spots and techniques from forum posts.

Firstly, the reports are a good source of information as to what is biting and what they are biting on. For instance in my last report, I was clued in by fellow members that prawns were running at the entrance and there were flathead about. I put two and two together and fished with prawn lures for flathead and got a few. This was in spite of the fact I had very little local knowledge of the area.

Second, google maps is your friend. Some people post up photos with the background included (they won’t if they are very protective of their hard earned spots which is their prerogative). Observe what is behind them (flats, rocks, wharves, boats, etc) and if you have a little local knowledge, you could pinpoint the exact spot, or at least find similar (the latter is even better because you may well find your own spot x with less travel). I have spent hours on google maps looking for flats, my favourite fishing environment.

Next, think about the time. For me, I fish an hour either side of tide changes (for what I do, I prefer the highs) as a rule of thumb. It varies though for where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. When I was preparing for my entrance holiday I dug up an article by Jamie Robley that said tides don’t matter so much when the Tuggerah lakes were closed, and that time of day mattered more. So out I went at the crack of dawn and in the early evening.

The best thing about doing your research ahead of time (apart from finding fish) is that you can indulge in your hobby even if you are far away from the water :).

Finally, just get out there and post a report afterwards. Talk about where you went and when, and what you did. If it was a donut, still post it - members might help you troubleshoot why. This is probably the best way of soliciting information.  Sometimes it’s not you - there have been some weekends when everyone donuts. Even if you donut, at least you got out there and you can be sure that you probably still had fun :)

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hey mate loved this reply I always am looking around google maps its always fun trying to look at little spots I can get in.

Hey Admis

My family and my cousins  used to go up to Port Stephens every year during the marlin comp in February. We used to fish for Garfish from the wharf at shoal bay as well as from the boat ramp at soldiers point. I’ve heard Stockton beach holds some big whiting although I never tried beach fishing in Port Stephens. You could try fishing break wall at the marina during Easter for long tail tuna and kingfish

Hope this helps