Exmouth and the Montebello Islands

Black CC

I recently went on a fishing Charter out of Exmouth in Western Australia to the Montebello Islands. Before we left we had a couple of days with Peak Sportfishing and caught 8 Sailfish across the 2 days. This was the biggest one.336181256_ExmouthSailfish.thumb.jpg.6bc19d82d84f5b276f63a5f2fc5faf6f.jpg

At the Islands we managed to catch our bag limit of table fish (20kg of fillets each) pretty quickly with Coral Trout and Red Emperor being the prize fish. There were a lot of Coral Trout that were all around the 4kg mark like the one below. After the table fish box had been ticked we concentrated on casting for GTs and there was no shortage of these around the islands. The picture below was the largest caught. If you haven't been to the Montebello Islands put it on your bucket list.   

2019-10-22 14.45.21.jpg

2019-10-26 23.54.18.jpg

• Like 12

I did the Monte's a few years ago on a live aboard charter.  By far the best fishing I have experienced anywhere!!  Too good to only go there once.  Thanks for bringing back the memories.  Well done and great pics.  Cheers.........

Dave 

Dave,

That was actually my 8th trip to the Monte's with my first being in 2000. One issue I didn't mention in my report was the number of sharks that smashed up our gear. We caught our bag limit very quickly but lost over 300 rigs to sharks. On my first trip almost 20 years ago, being "sharked" was rare and on this trip the rate was about 1 keeper to every 1 lost to a shark. The locals in Exmouth are really struggling with what to do about the problem because it is even worse if you try and fish anywhere near the mainland. Someone needs to find a commercial use for the sharks or the problem is going to get even worse.

Cheers,

Tony  

Regarding the Sharks I believe its learned behaviour where the animal works out that the boat equates to an easy meal.

I have seen this in remote areas of the Kimberleys over a period of time about the same as you, 20+ years.

Also Broomes Sailfish, in the heyday Sharks would just follow the boats around.

Hi Tony,

Yep the sharks were the same when I was there.  Fortunately there were enough fish to keep the sharks and anglers well fed!  I did a similar trip to Swaines Reef off Gladstone a few years earlier and the sharks were even worse.  I have to agree, the sharks have learned that once a boat stops an easy feed is not far off.  The Monte's is a special place and hopefully I will get there again.  Cheers.

Dave