Light Surf Advice

OpenHand

Hey all,

I am after a light surf rod for casting decent lures. I would really like a light kit that I could cast all day. 

There's obviously plenty of options out there from all the big players but I am keen for some feedback on the specs.

I am thinking a 9'6 rod for a bit of casting distance but not too unwieldy - maybe useful for spinning off jetties too.

Most lures would sit between 5 - 40g, likely in the middle of that. Would an ML rod be okay? 

I am mostly after salmon and whatever else I might hook up while fishing for that. Not expecting any monsters though, something that could handle 1 or 2kg of fish.

Thanks for any advice - driving myself a bit crazy trying to settle on a weight rating.

Sounds like you've done some homework and have already narrowed down your choice.

A lightish 9'6" rod is ideal for long sessions of throwing lures from the beach but may get interesting on a jetty if there's other people nearby. Look for a rod that handles your intended lure weights and around 4-6 or 6-8kg and you should be on the money.

I do a lot of lure casting from the beach and my favourite rod is a Daiwa Bluebacker 99 (discontinued) which is super light in the hand, 9'9" long and well suited to a 40g metal, which to me is the ideal weight to throw. Being a sea bass rod it is a slightly softer in taper than most rods available in Australia, which I find helps keep the hooks in place when a salmon jumps.

Another tip is if you're spooling with braid, don't go too light. I find a quality line around PE 1.2 - 1.5 ideal. Because these rods throw a lure so fast, if you go any lighter in line you'll find it choking on your stripper guide, causing huge tangles, snapped leader knots and lost lures.

• Like 1

Wilson live fibre 10'6" 4 to 6 kg. matched with a 4000 reel, (Stradic for me)  15 lb braid.  Extremely light. Hold in one hand all day !!   Perfect !!  Howard.

PS 5 gram may be a bit light ? 10 up would be ok !!!!

Edited by bluefin
  • Like 1