My First Alvey - Rod to match?

slurm

G'day legends!

After reviewing countless threads online I have decided to delve into the world of the Alvey.

I am going to be buying from them directly and was after a little guidance from those in the know!

I have been considering the SURF 60GVCR for beach work to target Bream / Flathead / Whiting mainly, however, my haunts are prone to holding the odd Tailor / Salmon / Jew. I'm thinking around 8-12lb Mono will be my choice (willing to consider others).

The two rods I am tossing up between is the R60 (10.6ft) and the R62L (12ft). I have experience with 9ft Graphite spin sticks luring off the sand / stones so I think I'll be more comfortable with the 10.6ft. In saying that, I would happily consider going bigger if it's going to make a significant difference in terms of using the reel to its full potential.

I am open to suggestions for a different novice outfit if anyone thinks I am not on the money with my choices!

To say I am keen is an understatement. Any advice would be golden.

Cheers!

Conor

Hi Slurm

Personally I have a preference for Alvey A series, non drag reels just for the simplicity and fun factor, but the 60GVCR looks like a sweet little unit. As for a rod, I'd reckon something closer to the 12' mark would be better suited for what you're looking to do.

Just to provide you with a few options, have a look at Gary Howard rods too. He has a great range of Alvey suitable rods and one that comes to mind is the "Dart", 11'4" and 3-5kg.

In saying that Alvey rods are very popular as well.

I'll PM you a few extra details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Hi Slurm

Personally I have a preference for Alvey A series, non drag reels just for the simplicity and fun factor, but the 60GVCR looks like a sweet little unit. As for a rod, I'd reckon something closer to the 12' mark would be better suited for what you're looking to do.

Just to provide you with a few options, have a look at Gary Howard rods too. He has a great range of Alvey suitable rods and one that comes to mind is the "Dart", 11'4" and 3-5kg.

In saying that Alvey rods are very popular as well.

I'll PM you a few extra details.

Thanks for your reply mate. The 11.4 seems like a great mid ground to me! I have heard that Gary's rods are unreal.

Hi Slurm  same as Green Hornet I also have a preference for the A series- you don't need a drag for what you intend to do. Like he suggested, the 12' rod is better suited for your purpose as it gives you more options re casting and clearing line above the wave-break. Gary Howard rods are great and purpose built (as are the Alvey rods)

If you can find an old Snyder or Butterworth 6144 (6 wraps of glass, 144 inches-12') they are exactly what you're after also.

If you go slightly heavier in line class, say 12-15 lb mono you will have a good all-round outfit. Sometimes you will need a bit heavier sinker or a larger bait like a Pilchard/Garfish if you want to chase Tailor etc 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Slurm  same as Green Hornet I also have a preference for the A series- you don't need a drag for what you intend to do. Like he suggested, the 12' rod is better suited for your purpose as it gives you more options re casting and clearing line above the wave-break. Gary Howard rods are great and purpose built (as are the Alvey rods)

If you can find an old Snyder or Butterworth 6144 (6 wraps of glass, 144 inches-12') they are exactly what you're after also.

If you go slightly heavier in line class, say 12-15 lb mono you will have a good all-round outfit. Sometimes you will need a bit heavier sinker or a larger bait like a Pilchard/Garfish if you want to chase Tailor etc 

Thanks for your reply mate. I think the A series will be the way to go!

• 4 weeks later...

I myself only purchased my first alvey only 2 years ago, A series low tech and a whole new experience for me compared to the spin reels I have alway used. It comes to the beach every trip now. The only reason I stepped into the alvey was my wife bought me a new beach rod for Christmas and had no idea what she was buying, when I opened it the giant over sized stripper guide made it quite obvious it was an alvey style rod, so hit he local tackle shop and picked up an alvey to marry up to the rod. I went down to the local football field to practice casting with 10lb mono and a small I think under 2 ounce snapper lead. And it easily whistles out a 80m cast with no bait drag. I can’t fault the ugly stik, for casting or fighting, has had multiple  2+kg salmon under it belt now. I love it! I can grab the exact model of your keen

• Like 2