Port Stephens- We found whiskers

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Where do I start???? 

Ok, so Monday. Woodsy and I were going to head out so I went and checked the weather. Conditions were forecast fishable but I looked at the ocean and it wasn’t right, so we canned it. Made plans to look at Friday! I had another mate and raider @tyrone07 keen as well. So we plan to get out today but Tyrone decides to bring up his boat with a mate and thought we could have a little Comp to keep us focused. The only problem is he only made it half way due to a collapsed wheel bearing! Poor bastard! 😫

Well that’s not stopping me and woodsy from going, so off we went. Collected a few livies that were very picky. Great conditions and we hit our mark. A few drifts nothing! Plenty of bait showing, good water (maybe to clear) good drift but no takers! Reset the drift and finally woodsy comes up tight! A nice panny for the box. Another boat turns up and anchors on our drift so time to move. 
Well, we pull up and there’s a stack of kings under our boat. Great fun on the snapper gear but all rats and basically just wasting our time. So we venture on closer to structure and get a good drift going. Plenty of bait on the sounder and then showering the surface. To be honest, I can’t recall every fish in order but they started chewing and chewing hard! We both lost some really really good fish and landed some nice takers too! Although I did manage to catch whiskers but a few of his brothers were to good for us! 

Packed up by 1030 and left them biting! Another great day out in Port Stephens! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 60395AD0-8709-451B-9BD7-20C719D180B2.thumb.jpeg.d808f8346ed5b302f5c356485b512cc5.jpegD3A5ADA3-EFDE-4FB6-B7C4-CE26F9D5DA8B.thumb.jpeg.e0fb388f157ccda1e4bd88af409a412a.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Great session! That’s a stonker! I don’t see any lures or line hanging out of him though... maybe Whiskers is still out there if that one had brothers you couldn’t stop! 😉😎 Tuesday might be a chance for me. I’ve been off work all week looking after my Mum and things will be getting hectic at work with Xmas trading but I’ve gotta squeeze something in!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Now that's a thumper, very nice scratchie & Woodsy :biggrinthumb:

And here I thought these crackers were just a winter thing :whistling: 

Thanks! We actually find the bigger models in Spring but more plentiful in winter. 

2 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

Yeww!! . How did long did she go Jeffery?? 

See you guys soon, hope the weather gods play ball

Let’s hope mate! In the 80’s! 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great session! That’s a stonker! I don’t see any lures or line hanging out of him though... maybe Whiskers is still out there if that one had brothers you couldn’t stop! 😉😎 Tuesday might be a chance for me. I’ve been off work all week looking after my Mum and things will be getting hectic at work with Xmas trading but I’ve gotta squeeze something in!

Thanks Baz! 

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done scratchie.you won’t need to buy any hooks or jig heads for a while.he has a nice bump on his head.

Cheers champ! Unfortunately we lost a few today as well, so there’s a few with piercings out there! 

1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

Cracking day out for someone, least the coffee was semi decent at Beresfield BP, might have to put up a report about that 😆😆

Mate I feel your pain! My shoulders are sore too but for a different reason! 😂😂

1 hour ago, jnrfinatic said:

Now that what I call a snapper! Holy that humps big! Well done fellas! 

Well done 

Adem 

Thanks Adem! The fish has a big hump too! Lol  😝 

• Like 1

Great bag of fish there woodsy & scratchie, good move on changing the day looks like perfect conditions, that’s a cracker of fish scratchie with all the attributes of a metery in the making must be nudging over 8 towards 9kg👍 I’m assuming not quite but damn close to your PB,  congrats on a great report & fish 😎

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Super report and Super photos.

Thanks mate! 

5 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Great bag of fish there woodsy & scratchie, good move on changing the day looks like perfect conditions, that’s a cracker of fish scratchie with all the attributes of a metery in the making must be nudging over 8 towards 9kg👍 I’m assuming not quite but damn close to your PB,  congrats on a great report & fish 😎

Cheers Dieter! 
Believe it or not, it’s actually 12cm short of my pb! It’s a good fish and I’m pretty happy with it on 20lb. It is the first fish over 80cm I’ve caught with a bump like that at Broughton! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Believe it or not, it’s actually 12cm short of my pb! It’s a good fish and I’m pretty happy with it on 20lb. It is the first fish over 80cm I’ve caught with a bump like that at Broughton! 

Wow top effort on 20lb, at least you can’t call that one a pannie , kinda looks a bit like Elvis in his heyday with Mick Jagger lips, at least it doesn’t have Streisand’s nose😂 , that would be one ugly snapper 🤪

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Wow top effort on 20lb, at least you can’t call that one a pannie , kinda looks a bit like Elvis in his heyday with Mick Jagger lips, at least it doesn’t have Streisand’s nose😂 , that would be one ugly snapper 🤪

Thanks mate! I changed leader to 30lb after getting smoked twice and couldn’t entice the bite! 🤔 I think the snapper worked me out! Lol 😝 

Great fish and a great day. How many kilos would that big one be??

i fished the Nelson Bay breakwall this morning. Quietest I’ve ever seen it. One guy managed a bream and I think that was all. I chucked 2 loaves of bread and 5 cans of cat food berley in over 2 hours and only had one little picker come out and investigate it. Even the little baitstealers were absent. Interesting how it couldn’t be more different.

4 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Great fish and a great day. How many kilos would that big one be??

i fished the Nelson Bay breakwall this morning. Quietest I’ve ever seen it. One guy managed a bream and I think that was all. I chucked 2 loaves of bread and 5 cans of cat food berley in over 2 hours and only had one little picker come out and investigate it. Even the little baitstealers were absent. Interesting how it couldn’t be more different.

The breakwall is always a hit and miss affair! I’ve seen some of the best fish from Port Stephens come from that wall. I’ve also encountered plenty of nil sessions. I’m not a bream fisho but I’ve had my best ever session there too! One tip, early high tide mornings are best! 

Just now, rickmarlin62 said:

Dont get many there with bumps like that jeff    was he from whisker mark  or somewhere else

I’m an honest fisho Rick, so  he was actually from somewhere else! We only fished two spots today. The first produced one fish and the second the rest! You have to move to find them! 

29 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Hearing you mate   im tryin to wrangle a morning next week      monday looks good

I should be out then too! Let me know! 

20 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish. The big one has a big noggin.  :lol:

Only a head it’s mother would love! Lol 

13 minutes ago, gundi4 said:

Nice one guys 👌🏽

Cheers Nick! Might be the same place you got your PB! 🤔 

• Like 1