Port Stephens- We found whiskers

Scratchie

8 hours ago, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

Where do I start???? 

Ok, so Monday. Woodsy and I were going to head out so I went and checked the weather. Conditions were forecast fishable but I looked at the ocean and it wasn’t right, so we canned it. Made plans to look at Friday! I had another mate and raider @tyrone07 keen as well. So we plan to get out today but Tyrone decides to bring up his boat with a mate and thought we could have a little Comp to keep us focused. The only problem is he only made it half way due to a collapsed wheel bearing! Poor bastard! 😫

Well that’s not stopping me and woodsy from going, so off we went. Collected a few livies that were very picky. Great conditions and we hit our mark. A few drifts nothing! Plenty of bait showing, good water (maybe to clear) good drift but no takers! Reset the drift and finally woodsy comes up tight! A nice panny for the box. Another boat turns up and anchors on our drift so time to move. 
Well, we pull up and there’s a stack of kings under our boat. Great fun on the snapper gear but all rats and basically just wasting our time. So we venture on closer to structure and get a good drift going. Plenty of bait on the sounder and then showering the surface. To be honest, I can’t recall every fish in order but they started chewing and chewing hard! We both lost some really really good fish and landed some nice takers too! Although I did manage to catch whiskers but a few of his brothers were to good for us! 

Packed up by 1030 and left them biting! Another great day out in Port Stephens! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 60395AD0-8709-451B-9BD7-20C719D180B2.thumb.jpeg.d808f8346ed5b302f5c356485b512cc5.jpegD3A5ADA3-EFDE-4FB6-B7C4-CE26F9D5DA8B.thumb.jpeg.e0fb388f157ccda1e4bd88af409a412a.jpeg

Hot damn, that things not far of being a Rhino! Awesome fish! 

Have a heart you guys. "Couldn't be bothered with the rat kings" and "we got busted off a few times" along with "we left them biting". I'm on my knees here hanging out for Cod season in 2 weeks time, having to make do with a few Carp here and there. You having a lend or what?

Serious face now. You certainly know what you're doing when it comes to tracking down the big reds guys. The environment where these fish are must be like a fish version of paradise. Keep the reports and pics coming...love 'em. bn

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great looking fish mate makes us all jealous. 👍

Cheers mate! 

9 hours ago, Soulman said:

Cracker of a day @Scratchie, nicely done...

Thank you! Always a good day out with woodsy! 

8 hours ago, TAZ said:

Hot damn, that things not far of being a Rhino! Awesome fish! 

Haha! Yeah funny head on it! The fish I mean 😂

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Have a heart you guys. "Couldn't be bothered with the rat kings" and "we got busted off a few times" along with "we left them biting". I'm on my knees here hanging out for Cod season in 2 weeks time, having to make do with a few Carp here and there. You having a lend or what?

Serious face now. You certainly know what you're doing when it comes to tracking down the big reds guys. The environment where these fish are must be like a fish version of paradise. Keep the reports and pics coming...love 'em. bn

Sorry BN. Just another day in the office. We certainly have a lot more water to play with than you do! I hope things improve down your way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeenFisher said:

Awesome action and fish guys, well done. I am dreaming of getting out there one day.

What gear was this on Jeff?

Came up on Sat morning but spent all day on the house and Sunday was very smoky!

Thanks George! Mate the weekend was pretty ordinary weather wise so I was happy to be working. 
Same setup I always use! 7ft 4-7kg rod 4000 reel 20lb braid and leader, 1/4oz 5/0jighead 

I knew @rickmarlin62 would ask you some probing questions. Lol. He KNOWS that ain't whiskers. He was testing your honesty when he asked you. But you also know he knows it's not whiskers and you fessed up. Oh the mind games  us fishos play! Gotta love it. Mate you can just about hide behind that fish. And you still got done by bigger fish. That's just mind blowing. You're not really a "scratchie" more like a "catchie"😆

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Keflapod said:

I knew @rickmarlin62 would ask you some probing questions. Lol. He KNOWS that ain't whiskers. He was testing your honesty when he asked you. But you also know he knows it's not whiskers and you fessed up. Oh the mind games  us fishos play! Gotta love it. Mate you can just about hide behind that fish. And you still got done by bigger fish. That's just mind blowing. You're not really a "scratchie" more like a "catchie"😆

Haha! Very clever. But 10 minutes after I caught that fish, Rick rang me after I sent him a photo! Lol 😝 so he already knew, that I knew that he knew where is was caught! Haha haha haha 😂 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, Scratchie said:

I should be out then too! Let me know! 

Only a head it’s mother would love! Lol 

Cheers Nick! Might be the same place you got your PB! 🤔 

Sorry bout the late reply, just sent this.  I went out early last week in the same spot and couldn’t get a hit. Heaps of rat kings but

3 hours ago, gundi4 said:

Sorry bout the late reply, just sent this.  I went out early last week in the same spot and couldn’t get a hit. Heaps of rat kings but

Yeah mate they’ve been prolific in that area. If you can get below them, they are there! 

• Like 1