Kings, flatties and a mulloway on the Georges

jenno64

Had a cracking afternoon kayak session on Friday after an early launch on the lower Georges. Collected only a few poddies in the morning and trolled them around on the run in for a while heading upstream to a better bait spot. Loaded up a bag limit of nice sized poddies on the top of the tide and started fishing the flats for not much action. 636496642_IMG_6270(2).thumb.JPG.38312f5479c401b44bf7ecca7a45f2a3.JPG

I waited for the tide to gather some momentum about two hours after high and fished the deeper water. First fish was a fiesty flatty around 65-70cm that slipped out of the lip grips and jumped out of the net with a spectacular vertical leap. I was thinking it wasn't going to be my day but I was wrong and in the next 90 minutes the action was insane. 

https://youtu.be/xSa46vNChqM

Next fish was a king on my lighter rod that gave me some stick for a couple of minutes. Was stoked to measure it at legal! Following drift produced a double hook up with a 60cm mulloway and while I was releasing it another king smashed my bigger rod.1443283738_IMG_6272(2).thumb.JPG.8b2c732acb0de58ff7f3be4eda050d96.JPG

1731953845_IMG_6273(2).thumb.JPG.4b52dedd1e6df4b428a2e4e821d841d5.JPG

Next up was a nice flatty just over 60cm and another rat king to follow that was released.

Shortly after another double with a smaller flatty released whilst the heavier rod went off with another king.

https://youtu.be/hGmceFCM804

With only a few dead poddies left I headed back to the ramp and had the bigger rod smashed by a 72cm flatty which I took into the shore to video the release. 

IMG_6279.thumb.JPG.28b545a126980cb7e3e325f81e92cbbe.JPG

https://youtu.be/Gr_eFI-Qnmg

A memorable session and all while I was being buzzed by huge cruisers and cowboys on jet skis. 

I'll post some links to my Youtube channel soon.

Edited by jenno64
change youtube links
  • Like 8

A great days fishing there Rob.

I've had a flatty jump out of a small net before, and hooked a couple in shallow water that have shot out of the water like small marlin after hookup.  :lol:  Flatties don't look like fast swimmers, but they can move quickly if they have to.

Great session, photos and write up! 👍

How'd you get the poddy's, a trap that folds up for the kayak or on line?

What was your setup for hooking the livies? I've been looking to do this and was considering a single size 4 through octopus through the top lip and small sliding ball sinker sinker to keep the bait fish down..

Awesome. George’s going off atm. Plenty of Jews and seen the kings smashing prawns all the way up Alford’s right at my feet. How do u get your mullet ? It’s taking me usually way to long to catch them with tiny hooks in the morning so I stock up the day before in the cooks and keep em airrated