Rear step

frankS

I was recently asked if I could make a rear step for a aluminium boat, so I have come up with a few designs to suit different size boats, small med and large .

They would have grab handles made to suit boat.

I have fitted one to my own 14 foot Brooker ( just a prototype ) but will do the job I am looking for just bolted on.

After talkback from those who have them ? and more importantly Who uses them ?. They come as standard on many boats but most are not used.

Here is mine.

792280516_rearstep6.thumb.jpg.0a8c15aa4b9264108dd5d4100586e48f.jpg

204148783_rearstep1.thumb.jpg.47ec64edaa0a98c0f43a7116b45fef48.jpg

I have made them all with angled backs to suit angle of my transom so step is straight when fitted but boats with upright transomes  would be made straight to suit.327735973_rearstep3.thumb.jpg.a447637de5f770602667eb0356ad340f.jpg

Have to fill holes in this one.

1136463498_rearstep4.thumb.jpg.161625cd1fb6565acc6c5cb9174a50c0.jpg

This on is pretty heavy and very solid.

Would look nicer IF I had a buffing machine.

light duty is 1.8mm checker and the others are 6mm checker, just using scrap material I have laying around the place.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2

Noel. That is one use I never thought of. Think the most common use is to allow people to climb into boat after skiing or tubing etc. I will be using it to launch boat from the bank where there is no pylon for boarding.

Frank

I can’t recall using my step while the boat’s been in the water. I generally nose up onto the beach and am able to reverse up. Of course, there was that time when I dropped the bow line when launching solo at Parsley Bay and had to swim for the boat... I totally forgot about the step, couldn’t climb in over the bow and swam the boat back in pulling the bow line! 😳 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789

Very nice Frank you will use that step a lot. The other use to no one has yet mentioned is as a sh$t step when nature calls just make sure no one is looking :ph34r:

14 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I can’t recall using my step while the boat’s been in the water. I generally nose up onto the beach and am able to reverse up. Of course, there was that time when I dropped the bow line when launching solo at Parsley Bay and had to swim for the boat... I totally forgot about the step, couldn’t climb in over the bow and swam the boat back in pulling the bow line! 😳 

That is one of my pet fears as these days I would be hopeless and would have to leave the boat to the drift. That is why I put a loop at the end of the rope and put around my wrist so I can't loose grip.

Frank

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, frankS said:

That is one of my pet fears as these days I would be hopeless and would have to leave the boat to the drift. That is why I put a loop at the end of the rope and put around my wrist so I can't loose grip.

Frank

Yes, I was glad I had my good undies on that day! 😂 My loop is around the bow sprit roller. I’m going to get a longer bow rope (that reaches to the sign at Little Beach ramp so I can tie off while I park the car and trailer) and I’ll splice a loop in both ends... just gotta remember to loop it around my wrist! 😂