Port Hacking - mixed bag

Yowie

Headed up from Lilli Pilli early this morning to the deeper water. Caught the fish (except for the smaller flattie and whiting) on squid and salted yakka strips. Plenty of small reddies pinching the baits, only one just made size. Also pulled out a just under tailor, and dropped 2 bigger tailor that spat the hooks.

I pulled out a jewie that was about 60 cm, and he was returned after a good fight. I had one good run that I suspected was an eagle ray, and it was. About 2 feet across the wings, not a big one but still swimming like a rocket on a hand line. I pulled him up to the boat, flipped him upside down and removed the hooks as they were hooked beside his mouth, not in the mouth. They are a funny looking ray, with a bulbous head on top rather than the flat body of most other rays. They look like little space craft on science fiction movies with their head sitting on top, cannot think of the movie name at present.

I later headed up to Greys Point and pumped some nippers, have not fished there for a long time. Drifted about for the smaller flattie and whiting, and released a small flattie. Not many bites at all.

There were some fish splashing on the surface near Gymea Bay. No takers on a lure, and they appeared to be salmon.

fish.jpeg_212.thumb.png.974523916d95861afd76d32b6021d78c.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Love your work yowie! Those eagle rays go hard don’t they! We were fishing for flatty last year in shallow water and my son hooked a good fish and said we need to chase this dad. I’ve never had to chase a flatty before! Lol. It was an eagle ray. They are funny looking things! Enjoy 😊 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Sergeant baker

No kingie That's a Latchet, similar to a Gurnard but has forked tail.

Yowie, you never fail to amaze me, you do so well .

Frank

Edited by frankS
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

great feed as always, you amaze me every time you go out managing a feed every time.. dont you get sick of catching fish ahahah

i have no idea how you do it. I have tried lilli pilli twice of the kayak just on the dropoff and just got pickers and a slightly undersized snapper. tide was a run in into the turn. bait was yakka, pilchard and squid. time was 10am. Still alot to learn about the hacking. any tips?

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Love your work yowie! Those eagle rays go hard don’t they! We were fishing for flatty last year in shallow water and my son hooked a good fish and said we need to chase this dad. I’ve never had to chase a flatty before! Lol. It was an eagle ray. They are funny looking things! Enjoy 😊 

cheers scratchie!!! 

The eagle rays certainly go hard. Nearly got spooled by a big one last month. Just hung on and the line busted at the swivel, so only lost the hooks and swivel.

Eagle rays swim into shallow water at night and suck the nippers out of the sand. You can see where they have been, depressions in the sand about 2 feet across. To the inexperienced, it looks like someone has been using a nipper pump to try to dig to the centre of the earth. :074:

If you have to chase a flattie, it will be a world record fish.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Restyle said:

great feed as always, you amaze me every time you go out managing a feed every time.. dont you get sick of catching fish ahahah

i have no idea how you do it. I have tried lilli pilli twice of the kayak just on the dropoff and just got pickers and a slightly undersized snapper. tide was a run in into the turn. bait was yakka, pilchard and squid. time was 10am. Still alot to learn about the hacking. any tips?

Do not get sick of catching fish. :lol:

Try the first of the run up tide, not the last.

• 3 weeks later...

Great work as always Yowie. 

On 11/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, Yowie said:

The eagle rays certainly go hard. Nearly got spooled by a big one last month. Just hung on and the line busted at the swivel, so only lost the hooks and swivel.

Those rays have spooled me a couple of times on my lighter outfits over the last few years. Horrible feeling seeing the last of the line disappear as in the moment you always wonder if maybe its that 20 kegger jew we all dream of, but with a cool head I know exactly what it is doing it. Man they have some motors on them once they get a bit bigger.

1045300459_IMG_5261(Medium).thumb.JPG.ceb444120193c30b56674892e9e66997.JPG

Cheers 

Rich

• Like 1

Yep I know all about them. Last year I hooked something unstoppable but it didn't have the speed of the Eagles and I was wondering what it was. Earlier this year I spotted a shadow gliding under my 6m boat. It was as wide as my boat  and I could have sworn I saw barnacles on its back. It was a black stingray prob over 100kg and that's likely what did me the previous year. Botany Bay is  full of surprises.

2 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Yep I know all about them. Last year I hooked something unstoppable but it didn't have the speed of the Eagles and I was wondering what it was. Earlier this year I spotted a shadow gliding under my 6m boat. It was as wide as my boat  and I could have sworn I saw barnacles on its back. It was a black stingray prob over 100kg and that's likely what did me the previous year. Botany Bay is  full of surprises.

I have hooked some of those, 6 foot across the wings and they will swim all day on the line.