Stradic FK vs CI4

skirulz

Hi All

Seems like the stradic FK is on sale  for $199 and if i had a option of purchasing a stradic FK for $199 or a CI4 for $199 which one would you go with and why.

All my fishing is in saltwater and that will be form a boat or the beach

hey mate

I have a 2500 Stradic FK and a 2500 Stradic CI4. I find the CI4 to be much lighter than the FK but performance wise I find them relatively the same. I prefer the feel of the FK solely because it balances perfectly with my light set up better than the Ci4.

In saying that, they are both gun reels and you cannot go wrong with either.

Fk bit tougher as Hagane body and smoother drag as it has the rigid support Drag., Ci4+ lighter (not meaning that is isnt tough in general though). Ci4+ would be smoother and less inertia as it has the MGL rotor and slightly better balanced.

Theres like a 35g difference in the 1k model and then about 50g in the 4k. 

Other then those both pretty much the same specs

Depends what you want to use it for. I used to use the 3k Ci4+ for my egi outfit and light lures but can still land decent fish on it. And then I use the 4k FK for fishing baits or heavier lures and kinda just skull drag them in. There a little flex in the handle of the ci4 where I dont really get that feeling in the FK.

• Like 2

It seems like the large “ Snake” store has them for that price.

But not in NSW by the look of it. I have found them a bit like that, advertise a cheap price for a item but only a couple of stores have them.

Edited by Blackfish

44 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

It seems like the large “ Snake” store has them for that price.

But not in NSW by the look of it. I have found them a bit like that, advertise a cheap price for a item but only a couple of stores have them.

i ordered it and it came with free shipping in the Fk4000

I have Fk and ci4 models. My 4000ci4 was going ok even on long tale tuna and albacore etc until I broke ( kids broke) the foot getting at of the holder. My new version ci4 3000 is beutiful to use and was intended as my snapper reel but lack of snapper has meant its been getting flogged on a daiwa black weasel bream rod chasing kings. The fk 5000 is the reel I would personaly pick as my favourite all round reel, it can handle well from both the boat and shore and be a jack of all trades so to speak. The price of the fk dropped when the fl recently came on the market, but in saying that I was offered the new fl 4000 at $230 in store. Many of the street tackle stores took up the issue of online stores undercutting what actual shops could buy them at and won, hence how I can get the latest version at such a good price. The ci4 3000 with the daiwa black weasel cost $300 from a walk in store (call it loyalty rewards!!).  

4k and 5k FK has the same body, the only difference being the spool and the handle knob. I like the knob on the 5k but I got mine at first release so didn't have 5k just yet, but the 4k in regards too spool size has always been more than sufficient enough.

I agree with Jon with the reel being Jack of all trades. I tend to use it in my where-ever (Wharf/Rocks) situations previously.

I have the 2016 ci4 in a 4000 and the 2017 in a 3000 and a 1000. I have the FK in a 5000. I think the FK feels more solid to hold and wind and the Ci4's are lighter. I have experienced no twisting or torquing issues with the Ci4's but i have never used them as winches.

I have had problems with the drag on the 5000 FK being sticky and not smooth. That is not under silly pressures, just as you would  sensibly fish 20lb or 30lb braid. I have three spools and they are all sticky. My mates is sticky too. I'm considering greasing all of them. 

Ihave both reels aswell. i prefer the FK due to the fact is built out of aluminium and feels more solid while the ci4 is a carbon fibre and it feels really light and "cheap". both reels are similar when it comes to performance. I have had the ci4 for a long time now and its only had it regular service and drag washers replaced.

I should add the low prices I pay on much of my gear is from sticking with a tackle store and supporting them where ever possible, I rarely check online prices or haggle for deals but get good deals anyway. I doubt a new face off the street would get such deals,

My stradic 5000 has a silky smooth drag even after several good soakings of saltwater and numerous kings. If it does get sticky like mentioned above I will try Cal's grease first before switching over to carbontex drag washers that I cut myself from carbon sheets. Match the reel up with sufix 12 strand 131 braid and its as smooth as mono.

IMG_2926.thumb.JPG.38f36c175d67fe6cd8718a3827abb940.JPG

IMG_0832.jpg.c3f198a6d8f6c64281d6ec1a0b25e16f.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg.44303eb38c7e3247fb1daf35a0c1ab4f.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Ihave both reels aswell. i prefer the FK due to the fact is built out of aluminium and feels more solid while the ci4 is a carbon fibre and it feels really light and "cheap". both reels are similar when it comes to performance. I have had the ci4 for a long time now and its only had it regular service and drag washers replaced.

Dude, in no way is the FK built of aluminium and the ci4 built out of carbon fibre..........

27 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Stradic FK q6T2GSk.png

Stradic Ci4 SKWGqB2.png

ci4 is just carbon fire reinforced plastic.

i can absolutely guarantee the FK is not an aluminium body as iv taken apart mine many times and it is plastic of some kind. most of shimano reels use CF aluminium spools.

But then on the shimano au website shows the ci4 uses hagane body and a ci4 body? just marketing.

ci4.png

55 minutes ago, xerotao said:

ci4 is just carbon fire reinforced plastic.

i can absolutely guarantee the FK is not an aluminium body as iv taken apart mine many times and it is plastic of some kind. most of shimano reels use CF aluminium spools.

But then on the shimano au website shows the ci4 uses hagane body and a ci4 body? just marketing.

ci4.png

i haven't taken mine apart yet. It could be. i'm just going of the website as my reel isnt with me at the moment. ill defently have a closer look once i get home.
Also what size is yours? it could change as the reel gets bigger for weight, etc?

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

Also what size is yours? it could change as the reel gets bigger for weight, etc?

I have a 5000fk and used to have a 3000fk. Same build. Only difference is only the 5000fk has shimano carbon washers. While 4000fk and under has felt washers

Agree with Xerotao, you'll also find that the "Metal" which they say is aluminum/magnesium, outta layer can chip for fall off. It's like a coating on the outside to give it, its full metal look. Its been a while since I've looked or used either of my stradics but off memory looked semi plastic under the outta layer.

Also sometimes, some of the so-call new technology was actually kinda just old tech but they just now gave it a name when they didnt have a label for it previously.

However, overall I still like both reels and although not in use for myself at the moment I cant see myself selling or getting rid of them. Skirulz will enjoy using it, FK although heavier than the ci4, but its still more than light enough to cast all day.