Flushing outboards without fresh tap water

steeevooo

Just wondering, anyone else concerned about possible implications of new water restrictions and flushing our motors after saltwater use?
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/premier-announces-toughest-water-restrictions-in-a-decade-20191120-p53cix.html

Thanks to the glorious liberal/national parties we're set for very dry conditions ahead, meaning water restrictions will be here for a while.
(not interested in a debate on the matter btw, here's a handy list of how they can be held responsible: http://situationtheatre.com/features-2/climate-election-government-record)

Have water conditions in the past ever affected flushing boat motors?
Or is it generally left alone and considered a necessity, like water use for cars?

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.
Do we need to start thinking of backup plans, such as a big bucket of fresh water kept in the driveway or something along those lines?

Hopefully worrying unnecessarily but thought the topic could be worth some discussion...

6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

It's funny how we have all these increasing water restrictions in place yet every car wash I see in Sydney is in full swing!

I think they have to filter and re-use their water.
Otherwise yeah makes no sense at all!

• Like 1

With level 1 restrictions you can:

wash non-commercial vehicles and buildings at any time using a bucket, a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning equipment

clean garbage bins and bin wash bays using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning equipment

flush boat engines using a specially designed flushing device attached to the hose

clean bilges and essential safety components on boat trailers, such as brakes and wheels using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning equipment.

I can't find much on level 2 but I suspect that, while the washing of cars/boats may be banned, the flushing of motors and trailers would still be allowed. We'll have to wait and see what gets published when it's announced.

• Like 1

I don't think flushing outboards is affected. But what worries me is that washing the boat is the same as washing a car. Ie you must use a bucket and not a hose with level 2 restrictions (at least from what I have heard). Good luck washing your trailer and brakes with a bucket. Also your clears which will be suceptable to sun damage if salt crystals are left on them.

Edited by kingfishbig

58 minutes ago, steeevooo said:

Just wondering, anyone else concerned about possible implications of new water restrictions and flushing our motors after saltwater use?
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/premier-announces-toughest-water-restrictions-in-a-decade-20191120-p53cix.html

Thanks to the glorious liberal/national parties we're set for very dry conditions ahead, meaning water restrictions will be here for a while.
(not interested in a debate on the matter btw, here's a handy list of how they can be held responsible: http://situationtheatre.com/features-2/climate-election-government-record)

Have water conditions in the past ever affected flushing boat motors?
Or is it generally left alone and considered a necessity, like water use for cars?

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.
Do we need to start thinking of backup plans, such as a big bucket of fresh water kept in the driveway or something along those lines?

Hopefully worrying unnecessarily but thought the topic could be worth some discussion...

I'm not sure about that - especially point 13.

"Starts dismantling Australia’s world leading marine protection system"

That's one of the good thing they did. If we must have marine parks at least they came up with something more pragmatic and that which fishermen can live with. And it's a very long bow to say that the LNP are resposible for the drought. Adding 1.4 miilion people to Sydney since Bob Carr said Sydney was full has more to do with water restrictions being needed. This is courtesy of the federal governments mass immigration program which the ALP and the Greens support.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I don't think flushing outboards is affected. But what worries me is that washing the boat is the same as washing a car. Ie you must use a bucket and not a hose with level 2 restrictions. Good luck washing your trailer and brakes with a bucket. Also you clears which will be suceptable to sun damage if salt crystals are left on them.

Good point, I didn't even think about washing the boat itself and the trailer.
Would be a pain in the butt to have to go home via a carwash every time you go for a fish if you want to wash and maintain your setup...

9 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I'm not sure about that - especially point 13.

"Starts dismantling Australia’s world leading marine protection system"

That's one of the good thing they did. If we must have marine parks at least they came up with something more pragmatic and that which fishermen can live with. And it's a very long bow to say that the LNP are resposible for the drought. Adding 1.4 miilion people to Sydney since Bob Carr said Sydney was full has more to do with water restrictions being needed. This is courtesy of the federal governments mass immigration program which the ALP and the Greens support.

Yeah I see your point, I'm undecided if those marine park changes were good or bad, but in this case it's not one of the direct things to impact low water levels. Selling off our water to foreign companies before that water reaches river systems plus opening up new mass scale unsustainable logging which impacts weather patterns have probably been the biggest local contributors.

I'm pretty sure that last time we had severe water restrictions, at least in the Shoalhaven area, we could still flush our boat motors in the usual way, however there was a time limit on how long you could flush for.

For the life of me I can't remember how long that was though.

• Like 1

Water restrictions vary by council / region depending on the level of severity in that region... here is the data for Sydney. 

Look at section with title Cleaning Cars and Boats.

Level 1

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/index.htm?fbclid=IwAR3SwhF2E5bY4gfzLE6FR9NYEZC7lyO8yIwxoSqWCriCIbnEyS-7j2qsnmU

Level 2

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/level-2-water-restrictions/index.htm

Personally I have a 5000L rain water tank that I installed the last time we had a drought but again I'll use it sparingly.

Cheers Zoran

PS - if it gets really bad may have to tow my rig to Penrith Tench Reserve to dunk the trailer and give the tub a run up the Napean in the fresh water up from weir ! Don't fancy the tow fuel bill there and back tho ! 

• Like 1

I remember Botany and Sutherland councils disconnecting taps at boat ramps during water restrictions.  Main problem is that this increses water used as by time you get home salt has dried everywere and motor may have to be flushed longer in case thermostat has closed.  Ron 

I posted a question about this topic just now in "the bar".

I'll ask here too......are my outboard's earmuffs a "purpose designed flushing device"?

I messaged Sydney Water this evening, hopefully they can clarify this tomorrow and respond to my question

7 hours ago, mii11x said:

I posted a question about this topic just now in "the bar".

I'll ask here too......are my outboard's earmuffs a "purpose designed flushing device"?

I messaged Sydney Water this evening, hopefully they can clarify this tomorrow and respond to my question

I'm saying definitely yes. 

If they are not purposely designed for flushing what was the other reason they were designed?   

• Haha 2

Thanks for the info regarding engine flushing during water restrictions. 

the other day I heard and it’s reported here 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/strewth/growing-grass-cost-at-parliament-house-in-canberra/news-story/31b0a9fc41b5157a70251d58adc5a5a9

that it cost over $500,000 last financial year to water the gardens at Parliament House Canberra 

It’s nice to have good looking gardens, but really - what a waste of money. 

27 minutes ago, motiondave said:

pardon, must have missed that in the news.
without going too much into politics, I doubt immigration will be cut back. Too many votes on offer.
Otherwise, Im going to trim the weeds in my burnt lawn :D

That's what i mean - the only way they will cut immigration is for something disasterous like that to happen. PS: there aren't many votes in it eg look at all the polls on the subject or the lengths politicians go to hide and obsfucate what they are doing. Because it is bipartisan (plus the Greens) they feel that they can ignore the voters wishes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

That's what i mean - the only way they will cut immigration is for something disasterous like that to happen. PS: there aren't many votes in it eg look at all the polls on the subject or the lengths politicians go to hide and obsfucate what they are doing. Because it is bipartisan (plus the Greens) they feel that they can ignore the voters wishes.

Agreed, it's amazing how they truly do ignore what the majority of voters actually want.

Another insulting aspect to consider with water restrictions is the desalination plant!

Our taxes paid for it to be built ($2.3bn), and ever since then it has cost the average Sydney household an extra $90 on their annual water bills to pay for it to sit there inactive. Now that it is being turned on, that will add another $30 per year onto everyone's water bills.

Once again thanks to our glorious Liberal leaders, who handed it over to a private company 2 years after it was built...

What a joke!

Boggles the mind.

Just gone to level 3 down here on the south coast, with the taps being removed from boat ramp areas today. Quite ridiculously we can flush our engines at home over grass for 5mins but if you have a pool or want to water the garden you have a two hour period both morning and evening to do so. No boat or trailer washing.

My mother-in law lives alone down here and like many little old ladies loves watering her garden. Her water usage is more than double our family of five, these restrictions will not reduce her usage and that's legal.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, JonD said:

Just gone to level 3 down here on the south coast, with the taps being removed from boat ramp areas today. Quite ridiculously we can flush our engines at home over grass for 5mins but if you have a pool or want to water the garden you have a two hour period both morning and evening to do so. No boat or trailer washing.

My mother-in law lives alone down here and like many little old ladies loves watering her garden. Her water usage is more than double our family of five, these restrictions will not reduce her usage and that's legal.

I guess they're trying alleviate the issue of people filling 1000 plus litre water tanks

• Like 1