Flushing outboards without fresh tap water

steeevooo

Heads up folks,

Boat ramp at Bayview has now switched the taps over to a push down dealio, where water trickles out for about 30 seconds then it cuts off and you have to push it down again.

Was in line for the wash bay and watching fisho after fisho trying to flush their motors on the weekend, the taps did not provide enough pressure.

Basically a case of them starting their motors, watching the temp gauge rise, and so turning it off real quick before any damage was done. That was the careful ones, I can only imagine how many less attentive boat owners will end up cooking their motors if they aren't paying attention or don't have a temp gauge 😕

It's a bit silly considering that flushing your motor at home will only use more water as you have the run the it longer so it warms up again and the thermostat opens up.

Also a bit rude considering that council charges up to $40 per day for people to park there...
(Edit: Someone pointed out the fee is lower now)

Edited by steeevooo

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

Rowland reserve? 
They cut their parking rates a while back, I phoned them and they informed me that winter was $22 per day and summer was $25 per day, not $40.

water restrictions, they apply all over now. Even councils have to comply.

might just have to flush the motor when you get home, thats what I do , I got fed up waiting in line at ramps, its an hour drive home for me fro most ramps and I can flush it for 5-10 mins running at home.

Yep Rowland reserve.
Good to hear they dropped the price, it was pretty outrageous.
I heard talk of it but didn't know it had actually happened. I bought an annual parking pass for there, so haven't noticed the change.

I see your point on water restrictions, but it's not a case of enforcing the rules, it's a case of the new taps making it actually impossible to flush your motor.

Hi,

When I lived on the Northern Beaches I was a member of the Royal Motor Yacht Club.

They had their owm ramp and water taps. No waiting. I know what you are going to say, expensive. No convenient.

Surely there are other clubs around Sydney with the same facilities.

Cheers.

Just noticed my trailer breaks which were totally replaced (hubs, callipers pads etc)less than 6 months ago are now seized up from not being able to wash our boats on level 3 restrictions. Was wondering how people manage to clean boat carpets without water these days, not that I have carpet but Im looking at replacing my boat and most have carpets.

By the way, though those to our north have had good rain over recent days we've only had 5mm in the last three days.

Hey crew, not wanting to get 'political', however, the truth needs to be pushed into the mainstream.

By 'truth'. I mean the FACT that EVERY local council charges developers 'head works' charges as part of the land subdivision costs. These 'head works' charges are MEANT to be put aside by each council to expand and increase infrastructure such as water, sewer, etc.

But. MOST local councils have NOT invested in the increase of water storage. WHY?

IF they had, despite the drought, every council would have increased water storage and therefore there would be NO NEED to go into water restrictions. The REAL issue is that existing water storage is insufficient for an increased population (more houses, more people, more water used, more water storage needed)

It's well past time for the employed bureaucrats  and past elected Councillors to be held ACCOUNTABLE.

Please consider contacting YOUR local council and ask them what they have done over the past 20 years to INCREASE water storage. And, don't be swayed by the BS 'bluff' of new houses needing a rain water tank - that was at the cost of the home owner ... WHAT HAS YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL DONE TO INCREASE PUBLIC WATER STORAGE?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Hey crew, not wanting to get 'political', however, the truth needs to be pushed into the mainstream.

By 'truth'. I mean the FACT that EVERY local council charges developers 'head works' charges as part of the land subdivision costs. These 'head works' charges are MEANT to be put aside by each council to expand and increase infrastructure such as water, sewer, etc.

But. MOST local councils have NOT invested in the increase of water storage. WHY?

IF they had, despite the drought, every council would have increased water storage and therefore there would be NO NEED to go into water restrictions. The REAL issue is that existing water storage is insufficient for an increased population (more houses, more people, more water used, more water storage needed)

It's well past time for the employed bureaucrats  and past elected Councillors to be held ACCOUNTABLE.

Please consider contacting YOUR local council and ask them what they have done over the past 20 years to INCREASE water storage. And, don't be swayed by the BS 'bluff' of new houses needing a rain water tank - that was at the cost of the home owner ... WHAT HAS YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL DONE TO INCREASE PUBLIC WATER STORAGE?

Not much they can do in the built out suburbs of Sydney.  Most of the water comes from big dams outside their area, plus the desal plant. 

PS you mention population growth - why not then curb immigration? At present any water savings will be quickly back filling by mass immigration.