Wentworth falls lake.

James  Clain

Some of you may be wondering about what fish can be caught in Wentworth falls lake, I have been fishing there around 50 times now and I have worked out what is going on there. They say that trout can be caught in the lake because they were stocked there a few years back, water temperatures in the lake rise to temperatures above 25 during the summer which means that all the trout in the lake would die very quickly. Although an invasive species called Redfin Perch have been illegally stocked into the lake and since that introduction their numbers are probably in the millions. A small population of carp also live in the lake that I have seen, i have never intentionally targeted them so I cannot give information about them.

To target the Redfin all you need is a small plastic that has a bit of red or green in them, Zman grubz amber and motor oil are really good. Small Redfin imitations are also great. Once rigged with a light leader albeit not necessary since my friend tried 50lb mono and caught one once all you need to do in wind it in slowly alternating your rod tip upwards to angle the lure from getting snagged when getting close to the bank. the North east and east side of the lake sees most if not all of the action. 

I have never had a day with no fish although the day before a big pressure change brings the fish to start schooling up and busting around the lake in big packs. Here is my new youtube video where I caught some Redfin there

You may be wondering about why I released the Redfin. The law states that the fisher may return the fish immediately after retrieval if he or she so desires. It is my opinion that Redfin living in waterways where native fish reside should be killed but Wentworth Falls lake is only home to Redfin, some trout and literally 5 maybe 10 bass. The lake is sealed so there is very minimal chance that Redfin would get out, If large amounts of bass were stocked into the lake in numbers that would replace the great Redfin fisheries then I would happily remove the Redfin. My other reason is that there is no point in killing a fish you are not going to eat, I often eat the Redfin as they are very good eating but I catch the train up and keeping the fish cool is difficult also, I would rather not take a knife on the train even though its legal.

Edited by James Clain
Reason for releasing Redfin (Pest Species)
  • Like 3

Hi mate. Know nothing about that place but is that temperature you mention the temp at the deepest where fish would go in the hot times or surface temp? Because in most lakes when it heats up they head for deeper cooler waters and often shut down.

22 hours ago, James Clain said:

Some of you may be wondering about what fish can be caught in Wentworth falls lake, I have been fishing there around 50 times now and I have worked out what is going on there. They say that trout can be caught in the lake because they were stocked there a few years back, water temperatures in the lake rise to temperatures above 25 during the summer which means that all the trout in the lake would die very quickly. Although an invasive species called Redfin Perch have been illegally stocked into the lake and since that introduction their numbers are probably in the millions. A small population of carp also live in the lake that I have seen, i have never intentionally targeted them so I cannot give information about them.

To target the Redfin all you need is a small plastic that has a bit of red or green in them, Zman grubz amber and motor oil are really good. Small Redfin imitations are also great. Once rigged with a light leader albeit not necessary since my friend tried 50lb mono and caught one once all you need to do in wind it in slowly alternating your rod tip upwards to angle the lure from getting snagged when getting close to the bank. the North east and east side of the lake sees most if not all of the action. 

I have never had a day with no fish although the day before a big pressure change brings the fish to start schooling up and busting around the lake in big packs. Here is my new youtube video where I caught some Redfin there

Its probably 15 years since I fished the very small lake and there were definitely still trout there then.