Iron Cove - Average fishing, great yarn

Little_Flatty

Hi all,

Went for a fish at Iron Cove this morning. The original plan was to head to the beach to pick up some whiting, but my 10 month old woke me up at 1am and I couldn't get back to sleep, so the decision was taken to drive less and fish locally. So I picked up my dad and we headed to Iron Cove.

The fishing was ordinary - just a couple of legal flatties, but the way in which the first flatty was 'caught' was why I am writing this report.

Long story short, I decided to take the baitcaster outfit out for a change. Dumb choice, as there was a bit of wind and my first cast resulted in a birds nest which locked up and surprisingly, the braid snapped like cotton, sending my Squidgy Prawn into the ether. It was quite new 15lb braid, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Ah well, these things happen. So I re-rigged and put out a second cast. A few hops in, I was ON! It was the usual flatty fight; headshakes, a bit of drag pulling then eventually submission. As I worked the fish in, I notice that there was my lure working halfway up my line. Then as the lure reaches the rod tip, I realise it was the lure I had just tied on, and the fish was actually hooked on some other line I had snagged.

Ok, that's strange, I thought, as I started handlining the fish in on this other line. This was when I realised that I had snagged the length of braid that had broken off on my first cast. Somehow, between breaking the line on the first cast and re-rigging, a flatty had eaten my lure and hooked itself! The flatty eventually sawed through the leader as I was trying to land it.

I was so gobsmacked that when I tried to explain what had just happened to my dad, I didn't make any sense!

In thirty or so years of fishing, this would have to be one of the stranger ways in which I have caught a fish (another that comes to mind was when as  a young kid, I hooked a plastic bag that had a little Groper living in it).

So the fish were nothing to write home about, but I thought it was a story worth telling. Strange but true :)

Mike

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

So the lures can catch fish without even being worked by an angler. That's spooky. Maybe we can create a lure to catch fish without even us  getting involved. We cast it in and sit back until the lure sends us an SMS to wind it in!! But we should be careful coz  If the lures become self aware they will jump off the shelves, cast themselves and catch fish. I doubtbthey could rule the world though. Well obviously I haven't fished for a while - going stir crazy here. 😆

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:09 PM, Keflapod said:

So the lures can catch fish without even being worked by an angler. That's spooky. Maybe we can create a lure to catch fish without even us  getting involved. We cast it in and sit back until the lure sends us an SMS to wind it in!! But we should be careful coz  If the lures become self aware they will jump off the shelves, cast themselves and catch fish. I doubtbthey could rule the world though. Well obviously I haven't fished for a while - going stir crazy here. 😆

I've seen fish take stationary gulps before. The squidgy prawn was a bit more of a surprise.