Knots for soft plastics

Rod84

Hey mate I wouldn’t use a loop knot on a jig head, just tie a uni/blood knot to connect to the jig head. I used to always use a double uni for my braid to leader knot but since costing me a cracking snapper I know tie the improved Albright that @Scratchie told me to tie and it’s a much stronger knot IMO

Hi,

There is a Fish snap tackle Connector with a swivel. Tie the swivel to your leader and just clip the jig head to the connector. Saves tying knots and works. Comes in various sizes.

If you contact Green Hornet on this forum he has a similar system.

Cheers.

14 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

There is a Fish snap tackle Connector with a swivel. Tie the swivel to your leader and just clip the jig head to the connector. Saves tying knots and works. Comes in various sizes.

Cheers.

I actually prefer the plain snap as I think an added swivel interferes with the natural motion  of the jighead and also is more  for the fish to see and get spooked (talking bream) and I  don't really see why you need the swivelimage.jpeg.c6d58f224964889a30e8584542952ccf.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

Cheers.

?????

Not too sure about this as I can't remember ever using a swivel with plastics, however I do use one with metal lures.

On my plastics, I've tried various brands of clips, loop knots and clinch knots and have settled on the plain old uniknot as the way to go.

If you're going to try a loop knot in a lightish leader be careful that the loop can't get caught in the gap where the eye of the hook turns and meets the shank or worse still slip through.

As I said the snap with a swivel works well.  You can buy the snap without the swivel. I have tried both. I use it on plastics and metals. The good thing about it is I can change lures without having to tie knots. My snap is about a third of the size of the one that Nutsaboutfishin has picured, plus it has a 33kg rating, not that I need that much. There is a range of snap connectors  with swivels and without with all different kg ratings.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Hey mate I wouldn’t use a loop knot on a jig head, just tie a uni/blood knot to connect to the jig head. I used to always use a double uni for my braid to leader knot but since costing me a cracking snapper I know tie the improved Albright that @Scratchie told me to tie and it’s a much stronger knot IMO

Cheers I’ll have a look

Chasing flathead,  the knot wouldn’t matter as much as it does in open ocean. 
The idea of a loop knot is so that it imparts action on the lure. This works well in brackish water or chasing trout etc. For other species such as snapper etc, depending on current, a loop knot can create an unnecessary bubble trail which may put off the bite! 

When using soft plastics, the action comes from either the lure itself or your rod action to increase or decrease action! 

A simple uni knot is all that’s required. If you opt for a clip, as mentioned before a decoy spiral is the only option I’d use! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

I always do a uni knot even when making a loop. The trick is to pull the tag end towards the mainline away from the hook leaving a large loop, then place your finger in the loop and tighten the mainline and tag end really hard which after a bit of pulling will seal the knot in place so it does not slide down. the knot will also probably fully slide down when you hook a fish which is also good because it means there is no chance of a weird tangle in the loop with the end of the hook during the fight.

Good fishing, tight lines.

• Thanks 1

IMG_3282.thumb.JPG.f8135337669aa89d066d0cbcafd77436.JPGI use these as they are so simple and quick to swap jig heads, micro jigs or lures, I even use them on my heavy offshore gear. The 25lb ones are plenty strong enough for inshore work but they are ver small.

Edited by JonD
  • Thanks 1

I dont even know the name of the knot I use but it holds extremely well. My Dad taught it to me as a kid.  Line through the eye, hold the tag end and line, twist the hook six,seven times min then put the end through the line loop near the eye, now bring it up and through the line loop up the top, wet with some spit and pull tight. Never undoes, high knot strength too. Used it all my fishing life and never let me down.

Anyone know the name of it? Feel free to laugh at my artwork, I'm no Picasso. 😁

IMG_20191124_194111.jpg

1 hour ago, TAZ said:

I dont even know the name of the knot I use but it holds extremely well. My Dad taught it to me as a kid.  Line through the eye, hold the tag end and line, twist the hook six,seven times min then put the end through the line loop near the eye, now bring it up and through the line loop up the top, wet with some spit and pull tight. Never undoes, high knot strength too. Used it all my fishing life and never let me down.

IMG_20191124_194111.jpg

Half blood knot same as you learned it off my old man many years ago...... on the topic of loop knots I use them for soft plastics and pretty much all lures 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TAZ said:

IMG_20191124_194111.jpg

Going to be picky here - I don't think it is the half blood knot. I actually think it is the "locked" half blood knot as he has put the tip of the line through the second loop he created to create the lock.

Details... details.... details:1prop:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Going to be picky here - I don't think it is the half blood knot. I actually think it is the "locked" half blood knot as he has put the tip of the line through the second loop he created to create the lock.

Details... details.... details:1prop:

43 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Second that definitely  a locked blood knot

Yes guys. The tip goes through the bottom loop and through the top loop, two loops. Awesome knot. Tried the one years ago where it just goes through the one bottom one and under extreme pressure it would pull undone and you'd see a wiggly pig tail end bit that pulled through it all. Never ever had the awesome pictured, 😁, one pull through ever. And under mad pressure on heavy line I've had hooks straighten and often line break above the knot or perhaps should say in just random places. That as far as I'm concerned shows its a good qaulity knot to use and why I've stuck with it. Yep, had it on occasion break at it but thats in the very low % of times, often nowhere near it. Very, very confident in its use. 👍 Cool, locked Blood Knot it is.

• Like 1

In answer to the original post - I don't bother with a loop knot for plastics as I think it is a waste of time. The loop knot is supposed to allow for less restricted movement of the lure, especially in the case of very lightweight flies (e.g. eye flies). Even a lightweight soft plastic complete with jig head has some weight - call it 3 to 12gms for discussions sake. Depending on how I am using the plastic I might I use an aggressive sharp flicking motion or a more subtle twitching motion. Each time I do this the force is transmitted down to the lure which due to mass and the resistance of water has an opposing resistance. That loop knot will develop a fold at the point at the where the eye meets the line. Loop knot won't act like a loop knot for very long under normal fishing. Yes I am an engineer and yes I overthink things and this is the conclusion I came to several years ago. I could also be wrong. ^_^ 

I just use a uni knot. Quick and easy to tie and if you do it right there is very little line wastage which reduces the frequency of the times you have to tie on a new leader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1