Port Stephens- smoked!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Headed out today with @back cruncher and hit the island. Conditions were pretty good with a nice water temp, good drift and a bit of bump! Loaded up with slimies pretty quick and now was the decision of what spot first! 🤔

So we couldn’t go past the sisters but after a couple of drifts nothing to show for it!
Changed areas locations and straight away I come up tight. Nice fish in the mid 60’s. We kept casting changing Sps and using some slimie fillets and heads to mix it up. Caught a few pannies in the 30’s that were released. Reset our drift a few times and there seemed to be bait only stacked in one area, so we worked that spot when suddenly I feel a take on the line. And boy did it load up! It started screaming and the weight was immense. I turned its head and felt confident I had it under control. Huge tail beats and Mick says “do you need the net?” To which I was going to say “no we need to chase the bastard” when all of a sudden snap!!! Gooooooone. Not the leader but the line snapped at the top of the rod and I lost 50m of 20lb. Never once have I had that happen and I’ve only just respooled the reel with new line too! Would have been a new PB for sure. Devastated Mick learnt a few new words and we moved on!  
New spot and first drift bang I’m on again, “good fish good fish” and I played the fish all the way to the boat and bang, goooooone. Chewed the leader this time. Then Mick loads up and in comes a nice snaps pushing 60. Then we played with a few rat kings and reset the drift. Nothing doing then all of a sudden Mick comes up tight and this thing is running. He sets the hook well but this fish don’t care and runs like Usain Bolt with enough force to chafe him off! Damn!!!

We tried one more spot after that for a pannie and called it quits. 
I also forgot to mention there was @Peter Nelson and @quintrex52 up there with us having a crack as well. I must thank Pete for taking Jeremy out and the boys did ok too! 
Oh well, that was our day. We won a few and lost too many for my liking but it’s why we keep going back! 

Tight lines all, 

cheers scratchie!!! B365F24C-94E7-43F2-A73F-3F2E90C150AC.thumb.png.fb029c970844db87b5df5ffc6651b300.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Great stuff, again, Scratchie! And good to hear you got a few too, Peter!

Im so annoyed I had today off, too, and just couldn’t get out. I thought I might get out on the Bay for a quick session but, alas, no. Starting to have severe withdrawal symptoms!

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Nice fish but a bit of a buggar about the others.

Thanks. It was pretty frustrating working hard for that big one only to lose it! Grr 🤬

2 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Some nice fish as always! 

Well done 

Adem 

Cheers Adem

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice work jeff   you gotta get lucky on a biggun again soon

Cheers Rick. Managed one with woodsy last week. But one of the ones I lost today was another level. 

2 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Some nice fish there Jeff.

Good to see you and @back cruncher out there. What a nice boat Mick, if you ever need a decky you know who to call, ha ha.

We didn't go as good as you boys but managed a few in th 50s and 40s.

It was a pleasure taking Jeremy out, top bloke and bloody good angler as well.

Yeah mate, glad you got amongst them too! Jeremy definitely knows his stuff. At least we all took home something! 

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice fish there Scratchie.

The bust offs were just pannies on steroids. :mfr_lol:

Haha! On massive amounts of steroids. Next time we’ll get em! 

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report. Super photos.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Baz! Yep it was a great day out there. 

Just now, quintrex52 said:

Unlucky mate.. Some how I think you'll crack the meter someday soon! Thanks Jeff for the hook up, had a ball with @Peter Nelson top bloke, will do it again for sure. We managed a feed with a couple of 50s.

IMG_20191125_104509.jpg

Awesome fellas! I thought you and Pete would make a good team! It wouldn’t be possible without Fishraider!!! 
Catch up with you soon champ! 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Awesome fellas! I thought you and Pete would make a good team! It wouldn’t be possible without Fishraider!!! 
Catch up with you soon champ! 👍

Fisharaider yes but more so your generousity and knowledge on your part Jeff, not to many fisherman like yourself👍💯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Im so annoyed I had today off, too, and just couldn’t get out. I thought I might get out on the Bay for a quick session but, alas, no. Starting to have severe withdrawal symptoms!

Baz mate. You HAVE to change your priorities! There will come a time when you will regret the opportunities missed and that's not a good situation. Next time there's even a half chance GO, CATCH A FEW, GET BACK IN THE ZONE. Cheers bn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Baz mate. You HAVE to change your priorities! There will come a time when you will regret the opportunities missed and that's not a good situation. Next time there's even a half chance GO, CATCH A FEW, GET BACK IN THE ZONE. Cheers bn

You’re probably right, Neil. 😂 All priorities are family related at the moment. But you’re right... I need to get out there, even if only for a quick session and even if it means I miss the low light, best tide scenario. The funny thing is, I’m only about 400m walk to the shoreline! I should at least try a land based session! Sorry, @Scratchie - don’t want to hijack your thread.

14 hours ago, Scratchie said:

It wouldn’t be possible without Fishraider!!! 

So true - its a great site, not just because of the reports but all the info shared and good will from guys like you.

Sounds like an exciting session but I'm sure there's some mixed feelings with those big bust offs. I'd be tempted to go a bit heavier with line and leader but I know you like the light stuff and it clearly pays dividends with top class fish.

• Thanks 1

Its a balancing act with line n leader  too light   smoked   too heavy  no bites   im same as jeff  20lb braid  20lb leader   when burleyin n bait i fish straight 15lb mono  i got smoked severely 2 weeks ago  but ive caught fish up to 9kgs this year        as jeff noted a few reports ago  he went up in trace then couldnt get a hit

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks BN couldn’t agree more! 

@Berleyguts

Baz mate, nearly every report I’ve placed this year you have posted that “you should have went out, couldn’t get out, wanted to get out.”

I place the reports because I did get out there and have a go! 

Despite being married with four kids, both my wife and I do shift work. My kids are talented on the sporting field which means we have commitments 6 days a week and I still make the time to go fishing as it is my passion! 

I also work hard for the fish I catch myself and the others I fish with, so it’s not just a matter of getting out there! 

You live closer to the ramp than any other fishraider member and I’ve not only showed you my spots and techniques first hand but always provide you with lots of information. 

So, next time woodsy and me go fishing, your coming with us and if you don’t catch a snapper, I’ll swim back from the island! 

Deal???? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

So true - its a great site, not just because of the reports but all the info shared and good will from guys like you.

Sounds like an exciting session but I'm sure there's some mixed feelings with those big bust offs. I'd be tempted to go a bit heavier with line and leader but I know you like the light stuff and it clearly pays dividends with top class fish.

Thanks Fil. 

Mate, I did go heavier twice now. Once I couldn’t entice any bites, the second time I got chewed off again! It’s more a matter of luck but at least I’ve been consistent finding them! I’m happy with that! 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Its a balancing act with line n leader  too light   smoked   too heavy  no bites   im same as jeff  20lb braid  20lb leader   when burleyin n bait i fish straight 15lb mono  i got smoked severely 2 weeks ago  but ive caught fish up to 9kgs this year        as jeff noted a few reports ago  he went up in trace then couldnt get a hit

Always a balancing act! On any snapper if you don’t get that hook in the corner of the mouth on a biggun, your screwed! The one yesterday actually snapped my braid near the rod tip or reel. Not sure it happened to quick. New braid, never had that happen before. Must have had a defect! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Thanks BN couldn’t agree more! 

@Berleyguts

Baz mate, nearly every report I’ve placed this year you have posted that “you should have went out, couldn’t get out, wanted to get out.”

I place the reports because I did get out there and have a go! 

Despite being married with four kids, both my wife and I do shift work. My kids are talented on the sporting field which means we have commitments 6 days a week and I still make the time to go fishing as it is my passion! 

I also work hard for the fish I catch myself and the others I fish with, so it’s not just a matter of getting out there! 

You live closer to the ramp than any other fishraider member and I’ve not only showed you my spots and techniques first hand but always provide you with lots of information. 

So, next time woodsy and me go fishing, your coming with us and if you don’t catch a snapper, I’ll swim back from the island! 

Deal???? 

Deal! I reckon if I told the missus, “Scratchie’s invited me out fishing”, the missus would say, “Why don’t you go?” Go figure! 😂 I’d love to go out in someone else’s boat for a change and observe. I’ll message you my days off!

PS. I really appreciate the info you share and value it highly! 😊 🙏 

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Looks like whiskers has called in some re inforcements. He's called in ZZ Top (for the whiskers effect) and now Arnold ShwatzennSnapper. The steroids are real !  It never ceases to amaze me the size of the Reds you're getting and still getting destroyed on bigger fish. But I agree it's the feeling of being done by a big fish that pisses us off enough to want revenge. Grrr. Revenge fishing.. Lol. I love it.

• Haha 1