Advice for a rookie please- LBG NSW coast

Lightning

Hi all,

First of all I would just like to say thankyou to everyone that contributes to this site and makes it such a great source of information and advice. 

I have fished a lot of my life but have recently become more involved in lbg fishing and am after advice. I currently run a saragosa 10000 and saltist hyper 9’6” off the rocks as well as a smaller 9 foot setup. I am based in Lake Macquarie and fish at Tomaree when able and have also explored some of Hat Head in search of lbg ledges. 

My question is:

Is livebaiting worth the effort to maximise results? I am looking at getting a tyrnos 30 with 24kg mono and a Shimano Dynamix lbg rod (15-24kg) rod for this but am unsure whether I would be better off solely using lures and saving myself the effort. 
I have never live baited before and have only fished off the rocks around tomaree and hat head for snapper and occasional rat king or big eye trevally. 
I am really keen to catch big kingfish and tuna this season around the mid north coast of NSW.

Again I appreciate any input or piece of advice no matter how significant. 
Thanks,

Lightning

Lol. I find it’s more effort using lures! 😂 I love lure fishing but I do tire of it if there’s no action. If there’s suitable rod holders in the rocks, you can float out a live bait and also spin with another outfit. 😉 I guess it helps if you can catch live bait at your location rather than lug it in. Re the Tyrnos 30 and 24kg mono. In my opinion, you’d be be better off fishing 15kg (30lb) mono on it, particularly landbased, as you’ll need the extra line capacity. If you want to fish 24kg (50lb) mono, get a Tyrnos 50 and suitable rod. I remember when Penn Internationals were THE reel for game fishing (boat and LBG).  Guys fished 30 on Int’l 50s and 50 on 80’s Me? I’m a lightweight (although still overweight 😂) and fishing 50 with maximum drag would probably pull me into the water! 😂 So, I have chosen to fish 15kg class max. You should have a chance of some decent kings and tuna from Tomaree. I saw a video yesterday of a guy who got smoked fishing close to Tomaree in a boat - it may have been a king but possibly a noah.

Live bait ballooning would definitely be worth a shot, of course depends on the spot, wind direction, swell etc.

Do a forum search for in that might already exist!!!!!!  

Examples-

Plenty of info on the www.

http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2018/08/13/gonna-land-me-a-longtail/

https://www.google.com.au/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQ4Mzt-KwTlMVtHD-T5gsg_9Vc9jg%3A1574888520018&ei=SOTeXepjjJjj4Q-Ayo-ADA&q=lbg+fishing&oq=LBG+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i67j0l9.822100.823963..826090...0.1..0.213.721.0j3j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i273j0i131j0i10.8FZGYTn50sk

Edited by kingie chaser

I fished lbg for many years  longtails are easily caught on 10kg  15kg   unless your targeting kings in particular with big baits leave the 24kg alone     all the usual spots are easily fished with 10kg  tomaree seals charlotte booti cape hawke point perp coffs  hat head   get a good quality long gaff 2 or 3 peice    imo  i very rarely use balloons as they tangle or pop when you dont want them too   torpedo corks are easier  and will cross past other lines without tangling   if you need any help or want to tee up a trip  PM me

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Lol. I find it’s more effort using lures! 😂 I love lure fishing but I do tire of it if there’s no action. If there’s suitable rod holders in the rocks, you can float out a live bait and also spin with another outfit. 😉 I guess it helps if you can catch live bait at your location rather than lug it in. Re the Tyrnos 30 and 24kg mono. In my opinion, you’d be be better off fishing 15kg (30lb) mono on it, particularly landbased, as you’ll need the extra line capacity. If you want to fish 24kg (50lb) mono, get a Tyrnos 50 and suitable rod. I remember when Penn Internationals were THE reel for game fishing (boat and LBG).  Guys fished 30 on Int’l 50s and 50 on 80’s Me? I’m a lightweight (although still overweight 😂) and fishing 50 with maximum drag would probably pull me into the water! 😂 So, I have chosen to fish 15kg class max. You should have a chance of some decent kings and tuna from Tomaree. I saw a video yesterday of a guy who got smoked fishing close to Tomaree in a boat - it may have been a king but possibly a noah.

Yeah that’s a great point Thankyou! I think I’ll stick with the 15kg. Appreciate it!

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Thanks mate! I’ll trawl through those and see if they can answer any of my other questions. Thankyou

29 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I fished lbg for many years  longtails are easily caught on 10kg  15kg   unless your targeting kings in particular with big baits leave the 24kg alone     all the usual spots are easily fished with 10kg  tomaree seals charlotte booti cape hawke point perp coffs  hat head   get a good quality long gaff 2 or 3 peice    imo  i very rarely use balloons as they tangle or pop when you dont want them too   torpedo corks are easier  and will cross past other lines without tangling   if you need any help or want to tee up a trip  PM me

Ok thankyou. I think Ill stick with the 15 kg line then too. 
ive pmd you. Thanks mate!

• Like 2